best router to use with drive attached for ATV2
I'm using a Buffalo Linstation with 2 TB Space. It costs about 200€ and in
my Network i get about 35 MB/s reading but with my Fritz Box 7270 its only 10 MB/s because the Fritzbox has only 100 MBit/s interface.

I think a NAS is a cool thing, but you wont get a cheap NAS which power up, when its needed an power down if not.
(Not speaking about special Wake on software for Windows/Mac)
WD MBWE's are cheap and power down... besides, "cheap" NAS's generally draw very little amounts of power in comparison to desktop computers. Take the MBWE's as an example, they have a 12v 3amp power supply.

ReadyNAS Duo has a 12v 5a power supply as it has to support 2 drives.

Using ohms law to get peak power:
P = E x I
MBWE: 12 x 3 = 36w
ReadyNAS Duo: 12 x 5 = 60w

Now 36w peak is not to say that the MBWE draws 36w all the time, it's power supply has a peak capacity of 36w, it will use much less during normal operation, peak load may never exceed say 25w, I have an inline watt meter, I'll check mine out tomorrow. A typical desktop computer would be 70-80w at idle, 100+ under full load, by turning your computer off and streaming from a NAS your already saving electricity... and a little bit of money!
Oh, sorry i meant shutting down and Power on. Blush
My Buffalo NAS only shuts down with a special Software installed on my PC. But it doesn't shut down with ATV or Power up. I have to manually switch it on to work with ATV. I didnt find any NAS that does this without a special Software in the cheeper Regions Rolleyes
I have read tons of bad reviews on the buffalo link systems. Seems they fail quickly or within a short time.
TLBreeze Wrote:Oh, sorry i meant shutting down and Power on. Blush
My Buffalo NAS only shuts down with a special Software installed on my PC. But it doesn't shut down with ATV or Power up. I have to manually switch it on to work with ATV. I didnt find any NAS that does this without a special Software in the cheeper Regions Rolleyes

Sounds like it puts itself to sleep and uses "wake on lan" to wake it back up.
I have one 3TB WD HHD connected to Linksys E3000 router and another 3TB WD HHD connected to WD Live TV box (which has two usb ports).

ATV streams great from these two setups.
Look at the open-source Tomato USB firmware installed on an Asus N-16 router. The router can also run torrent downloads using Transmission as a head-less install. I have this and an WD MyBook Live NAS and the router is better at video streaming. And its a kick ass gigabit router at less than $80 with Tomato firmware installed.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-RT-N16-Wirele...B002SISM5W

One thing, rather than NTFS or HFS+ the Tomato being a Linux derivative prefers the HD formated ext4. Will work with FAT or NTFS but it runs slower by reports I've read than formatted with ext4. To format drive, the easiest way is make a Ubuntu Live CD and boot up in Ubuntu just long enough to use use gparted to format drive. Turning on SMB files sharing and setting up shares in the Tomato web GUI is dead easy, just a matter of a couple of check boxes, setting a password for the share.

Also installing the firmware requires connecting the router to a Windows machine with IE for about 5 minutes when you first put on the new firmware. The factory Asus firmware is apparently shyte but they intentionally make it easy to add TomatoUSB or DDWRT and even advertise the ability to use open-source firmwares on the box.

The optware install for Transmission is a tad trickier but there is a guide here.
http://tomatousb.org/tut:how-to-set-up-n...otal-noobs
The Asus N-16 has a 480 Mhz Broadcom processor, BTW, making it kind of a steal at its price range - once you change the firmware.

Check the reviews - people using the factory firmware hate it, call it junk but people using TomatoUSB or DDWRT love it to death.
That's a grunty router... 2x USB ports and a 480mhz CPU for $150 AUD is a bargain... might have to get myself one, my trusty old WRT 54GL needs updating.
i ended up with the ASUS black diamond RT-N56U and a WD mybook live. I saw that some the other mybooks like world edition had more features but when reading the performance on smallnetbuilder i saw that the live edition had much better throughput then the others even faster then any of the buffalo NAS in the price range so thats what i ordered. I will see what happens when i get it.
Good choice! Seriously, you won't be disappointed.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
best router to use with drive attached for ATV20