Are the days of harmony remotes numbered ?
I am seriously impressed with the android remote. Does this mean that the 'expensive' harmony remotes will fade to black soon ?

The android device would have to be able to control the (IR) TV too.

Clearly for this to happen, this would need a third device to emit IR signals based upon the wireless commands.

Does this exist ?

Having said that... newer TV's often have ethernet capability, presumably this can be used to control the TV too ? (Good selling feature for the TV companies).

Am I wrong in my statements?
Yes, I have heard about TVs having APIs via TCP. Malard can tell you more about that Smile

About an external IR emitter I'm sure there is some hardware available, the problem will be the protocols accessing it. You'll probably need an additional PC and some serial bus coding skills.
Running XBMC on my HTPC, tablet, phone and pinball machine.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forums before posting. Do NOT e-mail Team-XBMC members asking for support. For troubleshooting and bug reporting, make sure you read this first.
There are third party controllers available, a device from Global Caché is a network device that is capable of sending IR(or Serial) commands from a wired network(wireless devices are also available) Though these are not exactly plug and play.

Their are probably PC based ones as well(LIRC in Linux will transmit IR) which would be more plug'n play
IRTrans sells a wireless device that would work pretty well for this, it can even include an IR database for an extra fee or you can teach it all you remote functions via a web interface. If your HTPC is on all the time you can also accomplish this with a USB-Uirt device which is directly supported by LIRC.
fishypops Wrote:I am seriously impressed with the android remote. Does this mean that the 'expensive' harmony remotes will fade to black soon ?

Well for sure this goes for the Logitech Squeezebox! Even the most expensive model only supports music
Company called Thinkflood has the RedEye mini which is a IR emitter connected to the audio jack of the phone. Currently it's only available for the iPhone but they are working on the Android version software.
As long as fanarts do not even work with the Android remotes, normal remotes will live on for a long time.
I've been using the iPhone app for a long time, just picked up the Harmony One. Probably won't be picking up the iPhone anymore...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are the days of harmony remotes numbered ?0