Server 2003 (WHS) and sharing to XBMC, what protocol? SMB = Slow
Hi All,

I have a Windows Home Server 2003 - 100mb cable to router and then from router to Atv1 (crystalbuntu) via 100mb wired.

It's setup via SMB at the moment and works 'ok' just a little slow.

I tried to impliment Windows Services for Unix so I can create an NFS mount, but for the life of me, couldn't get this working and just went back to SMB.

I 'could' switch to a linux server (Amahi?) but could really do with media accessible to a windows laptop or two.

I have very limited knowledge with NFS and in turn, Linux so suspect this is where my issues with the nfs mount stems from.

What server/share combo do you run? and what sort of latency do you get from the moment you press the Movies or TV Shows button?
thanks, jt
I use Windows 2008 R2 as the server and Windows XP and 7 clients with SMB networking, with one of the clients on a 1GHz connection and the other on a 1GHz connection. In both cases I see no speed issues with the networking.

There has been much discussion of speed issues with SMB, but this seems to be with Linix clients. Presumably the Linux implementation of the SMB client isn't getting on with Windows SMB servers. Stick with Windows throughout (or of course Linux throughout) and there should be no problems.

JR
I did think about upgrading to 2008 (its a new HP Microserver) (and i have a technet account)...

but currently only have the 1 drive to store my media (i know, i know ...i'm ordering a pair of drives in a month) so conscious of backing it all up

when you press play on a HD movie, what sort of time delay do you get?

thanks,
jt
jtonthebike Wrote:when you press play on a HD movie, what sort of time delay do you get?

None, or at least no noticable delay. Having said that, I use file mode so there are no library lookups involved. You could try switching to file mode and see if that makes any difference.

JR
I am running a home built Homeserver 2003 that is connected with gigabit cable to my router, and then via 2 homeplugs that deliver the speeds around 30 megabit to my HTPC with XBMC Live. No speed issues, no delays. Even on 1080p 10GB there is no delay. And I use samba.
If you don't want to change your server to linux (or your client to Windows), the consider using NFS to stream (see link below - it's an easy fix). It works way better than SMB in that context - I think jhsrennie is right Win->Linux isn't working so well. In my testing - even Win to Win, NFS is (oddly) faster with really long lists of files (e.g. directories with LOTS of photos, or large music libraries).
Addons I wrote &/or maintain:
OzWeather (Australian BOM weather) | Check Previous Episode | Playback Resumer | Unpause Jumpback | XSqueezeDisplay | (Legacy - XSqueeze & XZen)
Sorry, no help w/out a *full debug log*.
I doubt WHS is the culprit, serving media from WHS to multiple XBMC instances is a pretty common set up in these forums. Personally, I'm running WHS v1 serving XViD, DVD ISOs, and Blu-Ray ISOs to two XBMC instances (Custom HTPC and ATV v1), and I have NO problems.

If you are having constant buffering, and you have troubleshot the ATV v1, you may want to look into defragging the storage pool in WHS.
Living Room: ASUS Chromebox / OpeneElec 5 / Kodi 14.2
Bedroom: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Home Office: Amazon FireTV Stick / Kodi 14.2
Windows Server: Intel Core i3-2100T / 8GB Ram / 48TB / MySQL / StableBit DrivePool on Server 2012 R2 Standard

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Server 2003 (WHS) and sharing to XBMC, what protocol? SMB = Slow0