Newbie HTPC question re: Upscaling...
This is my first post, wherein I distinguish myself as totally clueless. Be gentle.

Is it possible to build an HTPC capable of performing the upscaling duties of an A/V receiver?

I ask this because I'd rather have just an HTPC and cable box, instead of the HTPC/cable box/receiver/external HDD clutter that my build is shaping out to be so far.

I also ask with a very unclear idea of what exactly a receiver does, aside from act as a convenient connection hub. I didn't even intend to get one until I learned it could improve the SD picture quality from my cable.

Is there any sort of compromise, or is a receiver totally necessary for the tasks it performs?
the main advantage of a receiver is without a doubt the fact that it is usually a 5.1 channel (at least) amplifier. It powers your speakers and decodes HD video and audio signals.

It also acts as a 'hub' like you say, so you can plug in all your inputs and have only 1 output to the display. typically that means you can put away your tv remote, since the tv will always be on the same input.

I don't know much about how to upscale your cable through a HTPC. Its probably going to be much simpler to get a good quality upscaling receiver and do it that way.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Newbie HTPC question re: Upscaling...0