Problems with certain anime subtitles with subtitles with multiple layers and karaoke
I am running XBMC rev. 10.1 Dharma (also tried newest nightly builds) on an Intel i5 750 with 4 GB Ram and a GF GTX 570 on Windows 7 64-bit. I am watching my videos on a 1080p LCD TV which is hooked to the 2nd DVI port of my graphics cards.

With certain anime releases I have the problem that some subtitles, mostly those that have more complex Karaoke effects, aren't displayed properly.

Take a look at the subtitles at the top of the following screenshot:

It should actually look like the following VLC screenshot with the green and white subtitles overlayed instead of being separate from each other:

Is there any fix for this? Maybe it is necessary to update the XBMC subtitle codecs to properly display all kinds of more complex karaoke subtitles with multiple layers?
Yes this is an issue I have as well you can see some more examples below:
Are you sure it's XBMC and not the fansubbers? None of mine do anything like that. This sounds more like a case of the group not following standards.
If that was the case would not the problem not be exclusive to xbmc. So far xbmc is the only player effected by this glitch. Here we see it but from a different sub group:
I can concure that it happens for certain in 10.1, but its just for the Op/Ed sequences.
Why read the lyrics when you should be watching the visuals instead? Smile

On a side note boingman, what skin are you using? Always wanted the progress bar to be relocated to that specific section of the screen.
Some of us actually are into this enough to actually want to sing along...
Great news.
I installed one of the latest nightly builds and it looks like the subtitle problems are gone.
I tested several UTW releases and the karaoke subtitles were displayed the way they should be.
Thanks XBMC team. Smile
Could you check the last episode of UTW's Ano Hana to see if the message text is laid out correctly (in Menma's messages to each of the characters)? In 10.1 several of the messages suffer layout problems - lines overlying each other, etc.
True, that was annoying and I had to watch the scene on my computer.
Anyways, I just checked Menma's messages, and unfortunately those spacing issues with the overlayed words still exist with the latest nightly build.
Maybe I'll post some comparison screen shots. Wonder if the team can look into it.

EDIT:

Here are two examples. Just take a look at the translation on the two letters. You can clearly see that some of the translated words in green/blue are overlapping. Ignore the red karaoke subs. Those are fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Problems with certain anime subtitles with subtitles with multiple layers and karaoke0