Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Nvidia VDPAU Settings - ION 2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Hi

I have a Sapphire Edge HD Nettop with ION 2 Graphics.

http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation...1088&lid=2

I installed the latest XBMC Freak Live CD on the integrated Harddrive.

http://www.xbmcfreak.nl/en/xbmcfreak-10-...livecd-v2/

If i plaback .mkv Files with .h264 codec inside i get framedrops where the video stops playing. Audio continues to play normal. After a few frames the video starts again and the whole playback continues normal. Another problem is that i get Video Artifacts like the user in this Forum

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=181336

My settings are 1080p with 50Hz Refresh Rate. Only VDPAU is enabled, no Sync playback to display or change refresh rate to match video. If i enable the Settings like in this HowTo

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=70068

the Framedrops and Artifacts are still present. If i skip back and watch the scene again the artifacts are sometimes gone...

I googled a lot about problems like mine, in some threads of the mythbuntu forum i read that users of mythbuntu should set a setting called "vdpaubuffersize" to a special size. How can i adjust this setting in xbmc?

Another posibility for my problems are the Powermizer Settings of the Nvidia GPU. How can i set this settings in XBMC Live?

I cant imagine that it is not possible to get perfect playback with vdpau on my Nettop.

Another problem i encountered: If i try to run nvidia-settings from the command line i get an error that the control display is not set. What settings have i to set that i can run the nvidia-settings tool?
Sorry this is not related but where, may I ask, did you get that Sapphire Edge? You were the only one I saw on the board that had one. I can't find them anywhere except overseas at ridiculous prices. Thanks.
If you are able to compile xbmc yourself, you could try fernetmenta's build. It has a different (better) vdpau implementation that runs with much less gpu load and some synchronization/stutter issues solved. Using that build solved all my ION2 stutter issues.

git clone https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc.git
Yes FernetMenta has added double pixmap buffers that will probably help. His other changes mostly rely on vdpau opengl interop which will require newish nvidia drivers (I forget which version this is included) and a newer libglew installed if I recall.

Powermizer is another issue. I have ION2 in Shuttle and it won't go to max perf level no matter what method is tried (registry dwords or nvidia-settings etc) if the nvidia driver is newer than 195.36.24 (which does not support vdpau opengl interop).

Other thing to ensure is that file does not have bad timestamps by remuxing with forced frame rate - even try just remuxing without audio as a test for video only.

Finally try to get an accurate modeline to match the video refresh rate to audio clock (this may help take out final wrinkles that can cause small resync stutters every now and again)
Seph817 Wrote:Sorry this is not related but where, may I ask, did you get that Sapphire Edge? You were the only one I saw on the board that had one. I can't find them anywhere except overseas at ridiculous prices. Thanks.

I am from Austria and here the Edge HD is available at various retailers...

I solved my problems with the Powermizer Settings in the xorg.conf. It runs now at max. Performance Setting and all Issues are gone...
john.cord Wrote:I am from Austria and here the Edge HD is available at various retailers...

I solved my problems with the Powermizer Settings in the xorg.conf. It runs now at max. Performance Setting and all Issues are gone...

Please post which version of nvidia driver and your xorg.conf.
I use the 260.19.29 Drivers.

My xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
        Identifier "nvidia"
        Driver  "nvidia"
        Option  "NoLogo"              "true"
        Option  "DynamicTwinView"     "false"
        Option  "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling = Native"
        Option  "ModeValidation"      "NoVesaModes, NoXServerModes, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck"
        Option  "UseDisplayDevice"    "DFP-1"
        Option  "ModeDebug"           "true"
        Option  "HWCursor"            "false"
        Option  "RegistryDwords" "PowerMizerEnable=0x1; PerfLevelSrc=0x2222; PowerMizerLevel=0x1; PowerMizerDefault=0x1; PowerMizerDefaultAC=0x1"
        Option  "NoFlip"              "false"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "screen"
        Device          "nvidia"
        SubSection      "Display"
                Modes "1920x1080_50" "1920x1080_60_0" "1920x1080_24"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
        Option  "Composite"           "false"
EndSection
Will this fix the stuttering found on ION1 setups?
And how can you confirm what 'level' it is running at? I.e. if the settings actually 'take'?
bossanova808 Wrote:And how can you confirm what 'level' it is running at? I.e. if the settings actually 'take'?
Code:
$ nvidia-settings -q GPUCurrentPerfLevel -t
bossanova808 Wrote:And how can you confirm what 'level' it is running at? I.e. if the settings actually 'take'?

The gpu Temperatur is higher and all artifacts are gone.
john.cord Wrote:The gpu Temperatur is higher and all artifacts are gone.

Maybe you only moved up one level?

Try, and post:

Code:
DISPLAY=:0 nvidia-settings -q [gpu:0]/GPUPowerMizerMode -q GPUCurrentPerfLevel -q GPUCurrentPerfMode -q GPUPowerSource  -q GPUAdaptiveClockState -q GPUCurrentClockFreqs -q GPUPerfModes -q GPU2DClockFreqs  -q GPU3DClockFreqs -q CUDACores -q GPUCoreTemp
On my openelec install (RC5), frame drops remain with the powermizer settings above. I don't think I have access to nvidia-settings
I still get some framedrops but thats caused by the bug with the 24Hz, 23,976 Hz issue...

Before i changed the Powermizer Settings i got Heavy Video Artifacts and System Crashes... these are now gone...
john.cord Wrote:I still get some framedrops but thats caused by the bug with the 24Hz, 23,976 Hz issue...

Before i changed the Powermizer Settings i got Heavy Video Artifacts and System Crashes... these are now gone...

Can you post the nvidia-settings output if possible please. Other frame drops you mean are caused by a/v sync discrepancy when using audio clock sync method?
Pages: 1 2 3