Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Storage questions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

There are some fantastic recommendations here for building HTPCs but nothing about storage which I'm hoping someone out there is an expert in. Currently I've got 2 x 4 bay NAS with 1.5tb drives in Raid 5 but believe it or not, even with 9tb of storage I'm running out!

I know I could swap out the drives for 2tb (the NAS doesn't support 3tb) but I'm looking for something that will mean I don't have to worry about storage for a long, long time.

So does anyone have any recommendations?

I love the NAS boxes because there was next to no setup and because
  1. I don't have to make sure my computer is on (I leave them running 24/7)
  2. They're relatively quite
  3. They generate very little heat
  4. I don't have to worry about which OS

So I'm hoping for something similar, in saying that, I'm not averse to rack mounted recommendations Smile

thanks in advance!
Your definitely a candidate for unRAID!!
unRAID Server (Video Explanation)

an unRAID PRO license ($119) supports up to 21 Hard Drives!!
thats 40TB of true storage!!
wow, I can see I've got some watching and reading to do, thanks Smile
+1 unRAID - It's super easy to expand your array
Muskyinoz Wrote:Hi all,

There are some fantastic recommendations here for building HTPCs but nothing about storage

You didn't do a search did you? There are lots of posts (many with dozens of pages of discussion) regarding storage.
@teaguecl - I found a few but they were smaller TBs than what I need (I'm already at 9TB), eskros post is perfect and the unraid forum has some great example builds