Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: How to limit log file size?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I'm was running XBMC ver 10 on Windows XP, when after awhile I noticed that I don't have any more free space on drive C.
I went to XBMC user folder [under documents and settings] and I found the log file xbmc.log to be 25GB!

I deleted the file, upgraded to the latest version [10.1 "Dharma"], and after 2-3 hours, the log file is at 500MB and counting, which is obviously not a normal behavior and will probably consume all the space on the drive quite soon.

Using the main menu, under System, the only settings I could find was the debug logging which was disabled.

So, how can I limit the log file size or disable it all together? Thanks.
Check whether debug logging is turned on in the advancedsettings.xml. This overrides the setting in XBMC.

What's in the log? Run XBMC until the log grows to some managable size (a few MB) then open it in Notepad and see what's in it.

JR
jhsrennie Wrote:Check whether debug logging is turned on in the advancedsettings.xml. This overrides the setting in XBMC.

JR

I can't find this file. Can you please point me to its location?
its in the XBMC userdata folder but you have to create advancedsettings.xml manually, its not there on a fresh install. If its not there then you haven't created it.

windows location - %appdata%/XBMC/userdata

the wiki will tell you where it is in other systems
If you look in the folder where you found the xbmc.log, there will be a folder called userdata. If it exists, the advancedsettings.xml will be in the userdata folder. However it doesn't exist by default so it shouldn't be there unless you created it. Can you get a short xbmc.log and have a look at it's contents?

JR
The log is full with statements like

Code:
21:25:47 T:5724 M:1845669888   ERROR: Error attempting to update the database version!
21:25:47 T:5724 M:1845669888   ERROR: Can't update the database MyVideos34.db from version 25 to 42
21:25:47 T:5724 M:1845669888  NOTICE: Attempting to update the database MyVideos34.db from version 25 to 42
21:25:47 T:5724 M:1845665792   ERROR: SQL: SQL error or missing database

So any advise on how can the error be resolved? and more importantly, because the application seems to work fine, how to limit the log size?
Isn't that a system bug that the log file can increase until all space is consumed, regardless of the error level?
the error is that your database is malformed or too old for us to be able to update it. delete the offending file (you'll have to start building your library from scratch).
up

How could I limit the kodi.log file size?