Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [AppleTv1]Black screen after Crystalbuntu installation
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, first I was say thanks to Sam Nazarko for this project.

Okay I installed crystalbuntu via the windows usb installer and plugged the usb drive into the atv. It seemed to install fine but then it goes into a black screen I know ubuntu is installed and running because i can ssh into it.

It just seems that the resolution is too high or as if the drivers don't recognize the TV as a monitor. Im using HDMI btw.

Can anyone help?
Thanks.
Bump, anybody?
I'm gonna post on the ubuntu forums.
Were you previously using the HDMI port before you install Crystalbuntu? What I mean is did you set up the ATV using the Apple OS to use HDMI and set the resolution correctly? IIRC, the output is setup through some legacy Apple software that's loaded before Linux (apple.boot.plist?). If your output changed, then this needs to change as well....I think.
pumkinut Wrote:Were you previously using the HDMI port before you install Crystalbuntu? What I mean is did you set up the ATV using the Apple OS to use HDMI and set the resolution correctly? IIRC, the output is setup through some legacy Apple software that's loaded before Linux (apple.boot.plist?). If your output changed, then this needs to change as well....I think.

Thank you.
I'm not sure I'm gonna try that now and post back.

EDIT: Do I need to reinstall crystalbuntu after I change the resolution or can I change it somewhere, because I can still ssh into it?
Go to atv-bootloader's "atvdisplay" wiki page and modify /etc/X11/xorg.conf to build up an ideal modeline. Where does it go black -- do you see tux at startup, any console output?
I'm trying using the component cable now but no luck.

It goes black after all the console output in the beginning.

Thanks.
Okay I'm using the composite cables and I changed the xorg.conf to use this code:

Quote:Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Generic Monitor"
#Option "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Generic Video Card"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Device "Generic Video Card"
Monitor "Generic Monitor"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "DPI" "100x100"
Option "UseEvents" "1"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "1"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "1"
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "TV"
Option "TVOutFormat" "COMPONENT"
Option "TVStandard" "HD480i"
Option "TVOverScan" "0.80
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "Coolbits" "1"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Modes "1920x1080" "1280x720" "1024x768" "720x480" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Disable"
EndSection

And now I get an error saying:

Incomplete in file /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Undefined Screen "Screen0" referenced by Server "Layout0"
Problem in parsing the config file
Error parsing the config file
Make sure it matches the layout of the old xorg.conf (different driver versions and xorg versions mean you shouldn't copy exactly from atv-bootloader wiki). I hope you have a backup..

Your syntax is wrong so it is not parsing.

Oh and Composite will only get you 480/576p
I'm playing with the xorg.conf trying to get it to work any suggestions?

I dont really mind the quality
Got it working thanks for all your help.
It was just tweaking the xorg.conf, I guess to get HDM to work I just gotta configure the xorg accordingly.

I also installed gnome now its exactly what I wanted this is fantastic.
Thanks again.
Good good. HDMI is best bet anyways
I am having a similar problem, hopefully you'll see this and I won't have to create a new post. I'm a long-time XBMC on xbox user and finally broke down today and bought a used Apple TV 1 that had already been jailbroken with patchstick and it has XBMC and Boxxee on the ATV menu. I wanted to run XBMC via Crystalbuntu on Linux instead. I successfully installed Crystalbuntu onto a USB drive and popped it in. Right now, I want the Apple TV to talk to the TV in my bedroom, which is a 480i CRT that has component connections. I connected the drive and connected the ATV to my TV and powered on. It installed and downloaded all updates as far as I can tell. However, XBMC never shows its splash screen. I see the ATV picture and Tux, then the console output, then it flickers a few times and goes black. If I push buttons on the remote the light blinks but I hear no XBMC sounds. I don't think my volume is too low, but perhaps. Anyway, from reading the thread above, I figure this is my problem: When I bought the AppleTV, I witnessed it boot up via HDMI onto a 1080p television. Sure enough, I took the ATV into my living room and hooked it up via component cables to my 1080p HDTV and got the same result. Then, I hooked it up via HDMI to the same TV, and it went through the console output then BAM! XBMC loads! Success!

I then took the Apple TV back into the other room, hooked it back up via component to the 480i CRT, unplugged the USB drive, and powered it on. It booted the Apple OS and took me straight to a screen to select my resolution. 480i was the only one that worked. I selected that and then went into the Apple TV menus and confirmed it has 480i selected. I powered off, reinstalled the USB drive, and powered on, hoping it would recognize the AppleTV settings and use them. It didn't work. Same result- console output, then black screen. Do I need to modify this xorg.conf file? If so, how do I do it from a windows PC? I don't have a Mac in the house, hopefully that's not a problem. Thanks for reading my ramblings!