Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Increase thumbnail quality/resolution?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hello.

i didn't want to post this question under "feature suggestion" because i didn't know if this was already possible and i just didn't know how.

in reading through this forum, i found a posting by jonathan marshall (jmarshall) that mentions that when xbmc creates a thumbnail from folder.jpg, it resizes to 128x128.

i have a 50" widescreen dlp hdtv (yeah, i know, poor me..) and i use project mayhem ii as a skin, so the folder thumbnails for my music and my videos are pretty large on my monitor at 1280x720. i go out of my way after ripping a cd to find the best quality picture possible to use as a folder.jpg. it's not that the 128x128 thumbnails look bad, but they just don't look great.

is there a setting i could change to have xbmc resize the folder.jpg to a 256x256 or maybe even 512x512 thumbnail?

thanks!
you change the size of the thumb that's displayed on screen by altering the skin reference.xml file. this will affect all list/thumb controls. if you want to alter only one particular list/thumb control, you need to modify that particular skin xml file.

but while you can change the size of the thumb, this will not affect the quality of the thumb. cached thumbs are fixed to 128x128 size when they are created. there is no option available to change this quality setting.
memory use is the main constraint for image resolution: mem usage is width x height x 4 bytes per image. that's an awful lot for thumbs at 512x512.

one idea may be to make 2 thumbs - one at 64x64 or similar, and a larger one for use in cases where just one thumb is displayed. it would require a fair amount of code rejiging though.

cheers,
jonathan
hello.

ah, okay. it's too bad that there is currently no way to do this. would it be difficult to implement the option to have thumbnails cached at 256x256 instead of 128x128? i think my 50" tv is sort of "medium-sized" as far as widescreen hdtvs running at 720p. i imagine that the thumbs must look pretty coarse on greater than 60" screens. it would just be nice to have a "high-quality thumbnail" option.

thanks for your time and all of your hard work!
edit the source and recompile.
hello.

uhhhh, okay...

i'm not a programmer, so i have no idea how to do that. i'm more of a network guy. oh, well, thanks for the time. it was just an idea...