Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can XBMC play Full HD SBS 3D MKV files? (3840x1080 resolution)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been researching for quite a while and I'm still a bit confused...

"Full HD 3D" Bluray is 3840x1080 resolution (ie. full 1080p for each eye). If you use a Bluray HDMI 1.4 player (or PowerDVD with nVidia GT430, etc) you can play these movies on your TV and get full quality.

You can also rip the 3D Bluray to Half-SBS or Full-SBS. Half-SBS is just 1920x1080 and can play with any player.

Full-SBS is 3840x1080 (the same as the Bluray Full HD 3D).

Can XBMC play these Full-SBS files?

I would think that XBMC only needs to switch to that resolution and output the video to the TV, but HDMI 1.4 might do something differently that would cause this not to work...
XBMC uses FFMPEG.
Thanks... I'm not sure what that has to do with my question though?
I would guess the point is that XBMC uses the public domain ffmpeg code, so it won't play 3D unless ffmpeg does. Having said that, I have no idea if ffmpeg plays 3d, so that's not much use (sorry!).

I would try it and see. Probably nothing is going to explode violently, though I can give no guarantee of this :-)

JR
sbs = side by side = just double the horizontal resolution. nothing new decoding wise required.

i would suspect we don't support it. we certainly don't support an automagic resolution change.