Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: First time HTPC setup, problem with VDPAU integration?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all.

I've been knocking around these forums for a few months now, asking possibly the same newbie questions that always get asked.

A lot of you have been very patient with me so i want to say thanks for that.

I've fallen in love with the idea of a HTPC so much that the time has come to build my first purpose built one, and i thought I' run some question marks over the proposed build here with you guys.

Firstly the purpose of this build is solely for video (high bitrate 1080p) and music playback. Nothing else.

With that in mind i bought a Thermaltake DH 101 case, with a view to putting in these components:

Gigabyte SKT-1156 GA-H55M-UD2H Motherboard

3-540 Core i3 Dual-Core Processor

The idea with the above components was to use the onboard gfx and HDMI and save myself from having to put in a graphics card. However, after researching VDPAU a little more, im not sure how well it works with Intel integrated gfx boards, or if at all.

Am I right in thinking its probably best to pick up an entry level NVIDIA card anyway to ensure smooth 1080p playback?

Thought's on this build and VDPAU would be really helpful before i lay down the cash.

Thanks chaps.
You are correct. The hardware gurus here recommend a GT210 for HD playback, especially if you will be using linux.
Yep, Linux for sure. Thanks for the confirmation.