Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: SSD or SD/CF card to SATA?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've recently build my first HTPC and I'm having some second thoughts about having a SSD as the main drive. I know it's faster and everything but I was wondering if I could run XBMC Live and be able to play 1080p without any issues using a SD/CF card to SATA adapter. What are the pros and cons about that approach?

Then I could put the SSD to good use on my macbook pro. Because right now it seems a bit of a waste.

A little bit more about my setup:
- Asus AT5IONT-I
- 2 x 1 GB Corsair XMS2
- 90W PicoPSU-90 DC-DC Power Supply & 60W AC Adapter

Thanks in advance
OpenELEC (xbmc for linux)
is designed to run from flash media, like a USB key, Compact Flash card or SD card
so answer is yes, u can do what u want...
eskro Wrote:OpenELEC (xbmc for linux)
is designed to run from flash media, like a USB key, Compact Flash card or SD card
so answer is yes, u can do what u want...

So you think it's better if I run OpenELEC instead of XBMC Live?
definitely yes!
if your going to run an appliance type model, why have a hard drive of any kind in your appliance? I dont see any value in it. Just serve all your content off your server including your library and thumbnails. You just need flash to boot from. I agree with you, use the ssd somewhere like your laptop where it helps.

Just make sure your bios can boot from the flash media you want to use.

openELEC - embedded linux appliance model (not designed for the linux environment to be highly customized with other linux applications).

live - Ubuntu underneath, with all the pros and cons of that.

in short if you want your htpc to be primarily a XBMC client to display content, the openelec appliance model is a good way to go. If you want your HTPC to be more general purpose and want to other linux software on that same box, live might be right.

BTW openELEC only uses ~ half of the 1G of ram I have in my openelec hosts, so you can use that second gig of ram for something else too. maybe a second box.
claypigeon Wrote:if your going to run an appliance type model, why have a hard drive of any kind in your appliance? I dont see any value in it. Just serve all your content off your server including your library and thumbnails. You just need flash to boot from. I agree with you, use the ssd somewhere like your laptop where it helps.

openELEC - embedded linux appliance model (not designed for the linux environment to be highly customized with other linux applications).

live - Ubuntu underneath, with all the pros and cons of that.

in short if you want your htpc to be primarily a XBMC client to display content, the openelec appliance model is a good way to go. If you want your HTPC to be more general purpose and want to other linux software on that same box, live might be right.

BTW openELEC only uses ~ half of the 1G of ram I have in my openelec hosts, so you can use that second gig of ram for something else too. maybe a second box.

I will definitely give openELEC a try. And I said something wrong about my setup. Those XMS2 RAM sticks are from my server. My HTPC uses some sticks I had laying around from my macbook pro. Doesn't make any difference but just wanted to clear that up.

I'll be back with new info as soon as I test it.

Thanks!
claypigeon Wrote:if your going to run an appliance type model, why have a hard drive of any kind in your appliance? I dont see any value in it. Just serve all your content off your server including your library and thumbnails. You just need flash to boot from. I agree with you, use the ssd somewhere like your laptop where it helps.

I thought I read somewhere using a thumb drive can cause issue due to the constant read/write that is not good for their health. Is that true? What is XBMC writing to the local storage if my data is all stored on my unRaid machine? I am planning on building a openELEC front end and can't figure out why I would possible need a SSD.