Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: delete linux from new revo 3700???? how??
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
hi guys,

my revo 3700 arived today with linux pre installed. I have never used linux before. I want to remove all traces of it so i can install win 7 as my OS.

how is it done? a quick reply would be great, only get limited time on pc before wife goes nuts.... lol lol ..

thx
Step 1) Install Windows.
step 2 install xbmc
Code:
sudo dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=4096

will truly erase it entirely.
step 3) regret step one
rugbymad Wrote:hi guys,

my revo 3700 arived today with linux pre installed. I have never used linux before. I want to remove all traces of it so i can install win 7 as my OS.

how is it done? a quick reply would be great, only get limited time on pc before wife goes nuts.... lol lol ..

thx

Well first of all you need a copy of Windows 7 and a DVD Drive. Put Windows 7 in the drive then go to the boot menu and then select boot from CD Drive. Follow the simple installer process and there you go Window 7.

However if your just going to use your box for XBMC you would probably be better off with Linux.
ronie Wrote:step 3) regret step one

Laugh
BigBadBaz Wrote:Well first of all you need a copy of Windows 7 and a DVD Drive. Put Windows 7 in the drive then go to the boot menu and then select boot from CD Drive. Follow the simple installer process and there you go Window 7.

However if your just going to use your box for XBMC you would probably be better off with Linux.

Wrong! Smile

1st: you don't need a disk drive. Second, if you did it would be DVD, not CD, and thirdly, he will need to zero out the drive or at least the partition table as it is likely GPT as well as ext4 fs which won't be recognised by the Windows installer
Sam.Nazarko Wrote:Wrong! Smile

1st: you don't need a disk drive. Second, if you did it would be DVD, not CD, and thirdly, he will need to zero out the drive or at least the partition table as it is likely GPT as well as ext4 fs which won't be recognised by the Windows installer

First: The Revo doesn't have a disk drive, so if he wants to install from the DVD he will.
Second: The bios in the revo will list CD drive in the boot order screen.
Third: I can't comment on whether or not the Windows installer will recognize the HD and allow him to repartition as I haven't used installed Windows since before XP SP1
The drive will be recognized, it'll just be recognized as "I don't know what the heck this is." So it'll ask him to format it. Which will wipe out everything.