Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: bitstreaming in ubuntu?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm wondering what the latest with bitstreaming in Linux is. I havnt been able to find any info on it anywhere let alone xbmc. Is it planned for Eden with the new audio engine? Is it possible at all right now as long as you have the hardware?
joeydrunk Wrote:I'm wondering what the latest with bitstreaming in Linux is. I havnt been able to find any info on it anywhere let alone xbmc. Is it planned for Eden with the new audio engine? Is it possible at all right now as long as you have the hardware?

There are options in the audio setup menu for DTS and Dolby 5.1. When enabled, the audio will be bitstreamed when possible. It definitely works as my receiver tells me right away when it's receiving a DTS/DD stream. For media with MP3 audio tracks, obviously there is nothing to bitstream and you get analog.
binaryjay Wrote:There are options in the audio setup menu for DTS and Dolby 5.1. When enabled, the audio will be bitstreamed when possible. It definitely works as my receiver tells me right away when it's receiving a DTS/DD stream. For media with MP3 audio tracks, obviously there is nothing to bitstream and you get analog.

Of course I can get dolby digital and dts. Im talking about the hd audio, Dolby tru hd and Dts hd ma. The audio found on most blurays. It's the only losless format used besides lpcm.
joeydrunk Wrote:Of course I can get dolby digital and dts. Im talking about the hd audio, Dolby tru hd and Dts hd ma. The audio found on most blurays. It's the only losless format used besides lpcm.

All you said was that you wanted bitstreaming, you didn't say anything about those codecs so I'm not sure why you replied as if we should have read your mind.

The answer is you can't do it with stable.
binaryjay Wrote:All you said was that you wanted bitstreaming, you didn't say anything about those codecs so I'm not sure why you replied as if we should have read your mind.

The answer is you can't do it with stable.

I just figured it was a given. Every media player/center and receiver for the last few years has been able to do dolby and dts. That's been the only problem the last year or two is finding right hardware/software/os to be able to bitstream hd audio. When someone mentions bitstreaming or questions associated with it the last year and a half 99% chance their talking about dolby tru hd or dts hd ma. Sorry though if I didn't make that clear. Do you know what the latest is in general with bitstreaming hd audio in Linux, and if it will beAngry available in the eden audio engine build un Linux?