Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty + XBMC kills Asrock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I've got s serious problem after upgrading my Asrock 330 HT to Natty. I basically run XBMC Dharma on it, but since it's now dead I can't check exact releases.

If I put it in suspend from XBMC, it does, and the blue led starts flashing. However it's impossible to wake it up, also to reboot it by holding the power button. When unplugging the power, and back in, then it won't start up, completely dead. This happened first sunday morning, and the strange thing is it was back running magically this morning, 48 hours later. Since I must be crazy, I wanted to be sure to reproduce it, I once again checked if it would die, and it did. Anyone has a clue how it could start working after 2 days? Would it help to disconnect the battery on the mobo or what might cause this/help me back? Putting it in suspend in Ubuntu 11.04 natty worked fine, so it seems like XBMC Dharma causes it to crash really hard...

If anyone is interested, I've got it on video from my iphone...

Cheers //Joacim
Hardware issue, nothing to do with 11.04 if you can't boot to Bios.
vikjon0 Wrote:Hardware issue, nothing to do with 11.04 if you can't boot to Bios.

Hi, thanks, I can agree it's a hardware issue, but how can i explain to Asrock it just happens when Xbmc suspends it, and not from Ubuntu? What can I do to get it back? does removing the cmos battery effect my warranty?

Thanks for any help. I opened a thread in ubuntuforums as well since it's maybe not belonging here...
Ok, I was going to say that after you have cut power it has nothing to do with xbmc or linux Then I saw it is the HT. The HT has some extra stuff to handle power on with remote. I guess there is an issue with that solution. No clue how that is working but still sound strange.
I guess if you mess with it warranty is void..at least if you cant put it back the way it was so better return it if it doesnt work.
First of all ... removing the c-mos batter wont avoid the warrenty in 99% of all mainboards!

So .. if u can run to suspend/sleep out of ubuntu with an 100% working wakeup, and xbmc crashs ur system in this way u explained, then it IS DEFINITLY a problem with ur mainboard together with xbmc Big Grin

I really dont know how xbmc handles suspend / wakeup events, but it seems that xbmc sends ur system to suspend in a way ur system cant handle.

So my first step to solve this problem would be: updating the mainboard bios to the latest bios version!
You will find an exact "how-to" on the website of asrock. Otherwise ask a friend who really knows what he is doing. Messing around with bios-updates can really KILL ur mainboard!
I also have this problem after upgrading to 11.04. It happens maybe 1 out of 10 suspends and it doesn't matter if I do it from XBMC or Ubuntu (I think). I just unplugged the power for 30 seconds and then started up the machine again without problem.

I did not see this issue with 10.10.
Quote:but it seems that xbmc sends ur system to suspend in a way ur system cant handle.
How do you explain that this state is retained when power is cut? That is why he is talkning about he cmos battery. I assume the ubuntu suspend code or what not is not saved in bios.
Thanks for your advise. I have opened a ticket at Asrock to see if they have heard about it or have any other ideas.
A quick update. I managed to get the pc back and running by removing the CMOS battery and back in. I unchecked the option to let the user rights to put the pc in suspend, if it's still risky. I haven't heard from Asrock yet. I guess Asrock has some special implementations of suspension in Bios...
I've now received an answer from Asrock support.

They recommend to update bios and vga driver. I'm however not very keen on doing this since it's a risk, and i can live with not suspending from xbmc. Maybe a challenge on a boring day?