Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Need help installing XBMC Live
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm really having a difficult time installing XBMC live on an old dell system I have. Its a 1.8Ghz P4 with 512mb of Rambus and a blank 40gb hard drive.

This computer doesn't seem to want to boot from USB, so i burned a CD and installed. After installed when I get the Splash and then this error "fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb" and it just alternates between the splash and this error. My research says this is cause by my radeon video card and that I need to put a config folder on my USB stick which won't help me if i can't boot from usb.

Help.
you need minimum a nvidia 6 generation recommended 8800, idk what the ATI GPU minimum requirements is but its on the wiki. I bet your video card is NOT supported.
What's the likelihood of me finding a AGP video card that's generation 6?
If you realy want to try all that is possible I think you need to try a number of different versions on Ubuntu CDs version 9.04 and up, if that does not work try with Debian.
EDIT. Should probably start from top with 11.04.

When you have debian or Ubuntu installed you need to learn how to manually install xbmc on it.
Chances are that you will not be able to play high res movied.

BTW, is it possible to put a PCI card in a AGP mb? When I checked a year ago it was still possible to buy PCI nvidia cards for mbs without PCI-E support.
Leh, Sigh.

You do not NEED a minimum of anything. That's just the minimum for hardware acceleration.

My girlfriend's "HTPC" is her old 1.8 gHz Celeron laptop. She knows she can't play HD content and is just fine with SD. I'd start with a bare install and build up to XBMC. Live is just a handy way to do it.

Also, if you're really just interested in a pure XBMC box, try out OpenELEC.tv it may work.
marcusjb Wrote:I'm really having a difficult time installing XBMC live on an old dell system I have. Its a 1.8Ghz P4 with 512mb of Rambus and a blank 40gb hard drive.

This computer doesn't seem to want to boot from USB, so i burned a CD and installed. After installed when I get the Splash and then this error "fb: conflicting fb hw usage radeondrmfb" and it just alternates between the splash and this error. My research says this is cause by my radeon video card and that I need to put a config folder on my USB stick which won't help me if i can't boot from usb.

Help.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware

wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Supported_hardware Wrote: What is current recommended hardware requirements for XBMC

For end-users the recommended minimum requirement is a x86-based computer, with a 3D GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) that at least supports Shader Model 3.0 and OpenGL 2.0 (that features 24bpp or 32bpp for 3D hardware-acceleration support, which XBMC GUI need to run smoothly at an acceptable frame-rate).

thats just to run XBMC GUI, Video hw acceleration is another potato. CPU wise any old thing is acceptable within reason... I notice that you have some radeon, so check if xbmc will support it just to run the UI. that failing depending where you are in the world agp 6, 8 and higher can still be found.

That is if Im reading well and not misunderstanding what is written, considering I haven't slept going on 36 hours or more, idk... best advice I can give is you drag your hw specs and ask in IRC #xbmc-linux or try to run a windows version to check. Current development tree requires xp with sp3, though I never used windows for xbmc, like darksouct mention openelec may be a solution but again trying is key, when in doubet email the developer, he's a nice decent chap.