Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: music library artist sort order
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello together! I'm new with xbmc but nearly everything seems to work fine except one detail: why is XBMC sorting some artists in the wrong way? Example:

I have the following artists in my collection:

Abba
a-ha
Alicia Keys
Leona Lewis
The Bangles
The Killers
Vanessa Mae

Fine. Adding them to the library reults in the following order in database mode:

Abba
a-ha
Alicia Keys
The Killers
Leona Lewis
The Bangles
Vanessa Mae

Why are "The Killers" sorted by "K" instead of "T", like "The Bangles" are sorted? The MP3-Tags show a clear "The Killers" and "The Bangles" in both artist and album artist.

Maybe somebody has an explanation for me...

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards
Kai
Greetings,

I'm pretty new to XBMC but I will offer this as a guess.

A lot of programs will simply ignore 'the' at the front of a group of titles and sort by the second word. Seems to be the more plausible explanation to your situation.
DragonDon Wrote:A lot of programs will simply ignore 'the' at the front of a group of titles and sort by the second word. Seems to be the more plausible explanation to your situation.

Indeed, that's the explanation. This is an option in XBMC. Go to System settings, Appearance, File lists and disable "Ignore articles when sorting".

But do you really every band starting with "The" to be sorted together? You're going to have half your music all grouped together under "The".

JR
I think the question is, why are 'The Bangles' not under 'B' if the 'The Killers' are under 'K'.
live4ever Wrote:I think the question is, why are 'The Bangles' not under 'B' if the 'The Killers' are under 'K'.

Oops, yes, good point.

I can't think of an obvious reason for the odd sorting. I'd probably fire up SQLLiteBrowser and have a grub around in the database to see if anything looks odd.

JR
might one but not the other of the two "The .." rips have the Artistsort tag set - assuming that XBMC pays attention to that, of course?
Hey folks, thanks for your wide variety of comments and hints!

I use MP3tag to work with my collection, and a short look into the tags of "The Killers" compared with "Tha Bangle"showed no difference. I remove every special tag from every track, only leaving title, album, artist, album artist, track number, cd number (if needed, single discs don't get a '1'), year and genre. Sorry @ceejay, the artistsort was good idea but not working in my case...

Next thing I have to check is the setting of the appearance of the filelists.

@live4ever: Maybe I do have tomatos laying on my eyes and EVERY 'the' is ignored, but I don't think so...kind of...

@jhsrennie: At the moment I'm traveling by train and I'm in the middle of nowhere, but in afew hours I can do a remote login to my network and check the settings Smile

The last hope might be the SQLLite, as I'm a programmer it shold be easy to take a look into it. But first I doublecheck the settings Big Grin

I keep you informed!
Kai
kengelbr Wrote:Hey folks, thanks for your wide variety of comments and hints!

I use MP3tag to work with my collection, and a short look into the tags of "The Killers" compared with "Tha Bangle"showed no difference. I remove every special tag from every track, only leaving title, album, artist, album artist, track number, cd number (if needed, single discs don't get a '1'), year and genre. Sorry @ceejay, the artistsort was good idea but not working in my case...

Next thing I have to check is the setting of the appearance of the filelists.

@live4ever: Maybe I do have tomatos laying on my eyes and EVERY 'the' is ignored, but I don't think so...kind of...

@jhsrennie: At the moment I'm traveling by train and I'm in the middle of nowhere, but in afew hours I can do a remote login to my network and check the settings Smile

The last hope might be the SQLLite, as I'm a programmer it shold be easy to take a look into it. But first I doublecheck the settings Big Grin

I keep you informed!
Kai

Hi Kengelbr,
One step at a time. I suggest you check the spelling of the band name in your tags under "Artist" and "Album/Artist", in your song names (if it is part of it), as well the spelling in folders. From my experience, they must be the same. If you have Beetles in folder, The Beatles in "Artist" tag, Beatles, The in "Album/Artist" then you may come across very strange things. Make sure the spelling is the same, then do "Clean Library", then we'll see what would happen. Good luck, Alex
Allright...I removed the tomatos from my eyes...and guess what I've seen..."The Bangles" in section "B", "The Killers" in section "K" and so on and so on.

A short look into the settings as mentioned from jhsrennie and there it is: "Ignore articles when sorting". I switched it off and zack - everything works as expected!

I think I have to study the whole settings area a little more to see which settings are possible at all.

Oh, and not to forget: I am aware of the fact, that now every artist starting with "The" can be found under ...guess..."T"! I'm from Germany, here we don't have so much artists starting with "the", from 400 different artists only 20-30 have a "The" at the beginning of he name, that's fine for me.

Hey guys, thanks a lot for your support!!! You are great Smile

Well, now I only have this fanart-problem, maybe somebody can take a look into this thread. I guess there is no switch in XBMC which says "no fanart for Sting, Mariah Carey and Elvis" Smile Here the thread: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=101888

Many thanks!
Kai