Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: file naming conventions
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey guys,

ok so i'm setting up my library as in the Wiki:

\Movies\The Usual Suspects (1995)\somefilename.mkv

My Question is, for movies that have multiple parts (like harry potter for instance which has like what 7 movies out?) Can I put it all in one harry potter folder, then break it out? Like so:

\Movies\Harry Potter\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (2010)\somefilename.mkv

Then also have:

\Movies\Harry Potter\Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)\somefilename.mkv

not sure if your following me, but basically organize them all in the same folder then use sub-folders for tmdb.

or do I have to go:

\Movies\Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part I (2010)\somefilename.mkv
\Movies\Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)\somefilename.mkv

in separate "main" folders?

Thanks!
You can use both folder structures, if you have enabled "use foldernames for lookup" and "scan recursivley" in the "set content settings" ...
Thanks Sonic
Sorry, adding to that I take it then that I can put movies in a folder by group?

Like a Disney folder?

IE:

\Movies\Disney\Pocahontas (1995)\Pocahontas.mkv

And i'm sure its been listed somewhere but if I do a network box where I "share" movies between all the xbmc boxes in my household can I regulate movies on there? Meaning can I make one of the boxes no be able to play anything other than certain directory (like disney) or play nothing other than "G" rated movies?

Thanks!
I think you want to use movie sets to organise your movies, rather than trying to manage it using a directoy structure. Check out the wiki.

Using the file structure described will allow all the data to be scraped but it wont organise the mvoies in the library into groups (or sets)

If you want to share a library between PCs you need to set up a mySQL database on the server and have the client PCs access that. This will sync the movie set status, watched tags, meta data etc. Or if you have local .nfo files you can just share the same smb path for all PCs and it shoudl pick up the set info from the nfo file but none of the other library data.
Or if u don't want to mess with .NFO files you can also do it this way.
Quote:And i'm sure its been listed somewhere but if I do a network box where I "share" movies between all the xbmc boxes in my household can I regulate movies on there? Meaning can I make one of the boxes no be able to play anything other than certain directory (like disney) or play nothing other than "G" rated movies?

You can have a disney folder as long as you don't use "get name from folder" or what ever it is called. To stop one of the boxes to add the disney folder you have to look down the xbmc or run that box on a user that do not have access to the folder.

If you have a shared libray it is a different matter.