Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Latest nvidia drivers and backlight?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Why is it with the latest nvidia 270.29 drivers, blacks look more like grey?
When I install dharma 10.1, the color is perfect but I get no hdmi audio, so when I update my nvidia drivers, I get perfect audio but everything looks faded : /
Is there a way to fix the color so blacks actually look black?
those are not the latest drivers, I know because I compile them and have them on my ppa's, I dont even know what Version of Linux or ubuntu your using cause you provided no helpful information except for the problem.... No one is a mind reader...

want real help provide more information please.
X3lectric Wrote:those are not the latest drivers, Idont even know what Version of Linux or ubuntu your using cause you provided no helpful information except for the problem.... No one is a mind reader...
I'm using an Asrock ION 330 system connected to a Denon 590 receiver which is connected to my Panasonic plasma tv all with HDMI.
I installed XBMC 10.1 Dharma (so whatever linux version is in that) and used the follow command to update the drivers:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install nvidia-current nvidia-current-modaliases nvidia-settings
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f5f9654bb -O /etc/asound.conf
sudo wget http://pastebin.com/download.php?i=f2e38265 -O /usr/share/alsa/cards/HDA-Intel.conf

If I missed any info, please let me know.
Well I still dont know what version of Ubuntu your using if its LUcid then you dont have the latest drivers, Please post a xbmc debug log.....

If you have Lucid remove the x-swat ppa thats not the latest drivers. Use https://launchpad.net/~team-iquik/+archive/nvidia-vpau

As for HDMI I will need screenshots of your audio settings of what Devices you have enabled....

Also please under programs install the volume mixer (addon) to manage the audio settings from XBMC, and UNMUTE all correspondent devices....

HDMI issue more problematic in my experience because of the amps.... I dont have amp to test or help with....
would be nice to know what version alsa drivers you have as less then 1.0.23 is not "ideal"
to be fair to the original poster, they do say they installed

Quote:XBMC 10.1 Dharma (so whatever linux version is in that)

So I guess they're running XBMCLive
unsubscribed....
From what I've read, doesn't alsa handle the audio part of the graphics card and the nvidia drivers handle the graphics?

Have you tried rolling back you're graphics driver to a working version and updating alsa?
X3lectric Wrote:Well I still dont know what version of Ubuntu your using if its LUcid then you dont have the latest drivers, Please post a xbmc debug log.....

If you have Lucid remove the x-swat ppa thats not the latest drivers. Use https://launchpad.net/~team-iquik/+archive/nvidia-vpau

As for HDMI I will need screenshots of your audio settings of what Devices you have enabled....

Also please under programs install the volume mixer (addon) to manage the audio settings from XBMC, and UNMUTE all correspondent devices....

HDMI issue more problematic in my experience because of the amps.... I dont have amp to test or help with....
Thanks for the link. I used that and now I'm on 270.41 drivers and have audio, but the backlight is still brighter than usual.
And yeah I'm using xbmc live.

teeedubb Wrote:From what I've read, doesn't alsa handle the audio part of the graphics card and the nvidia drivers handle the graphics?

Have you tried rolling back you're graphics driver to a working version and updating alsa?
What's the best way to downgrade drivers?
Do you have "VDPAU Studio Level Color Conversion" checked in youe video settings? If you do, uncheck it, if you don't, check it. Also, Panasonic plasmas have a known issue with rising black levels. What video mode are you using, and under Picture Settings - Advanced settings check and see where your black level is set to. You might just need to change it to dark. Also, please start using the term "Black Level", as it's what you're having an issue with, not "Backlight". Backlight refers to LCD and LED.