Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Latest build of XBMC on Natty - how?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,

I'm currently running XBMC 10.1 live from a USB-stick on Ubuntu 11.04. It all seems to work quite well thanks to this excellent guide (not for 11.04 though):

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu

I would however like to try and upgrade to the latest nightly (GIT?) build, since I do have a few problems with system not powering down, smb seems laggy and XBMC seems to be using a lot of CPU when idle.

So my question is, how would I go about doing that, upgrading? And does it make sense? You see I'm kind of hoping, that there will be better support for the before mentioned issues with a later (unstable) version of XBMC. And can anyone tell me, what GIT is in this context?

I'm running XBMC on a Zotac ID41 ION next gen.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Oy - just wanted to say, I think I fixed it. I used the Maverick build on Natty which I wanted to update to the latest unstable from

Code:
ppa:team-xbmc/unstable

I changed /etc/apt/sources.list.d/team-xbmc* so it would no longer fetch from Maverick repo but from the new unstable Natty repo. Then I tried to do an

Code:
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get upgrade

Then I got a message saying packages were being kept back, which I reckon was because I had the maverick build installed while trying to update it with the natty build.

Finally I got it working by just doing

Code:
sudo apt-get install xbmc

Hope it might help someone somewhere and pardon my noobishnes.
When you say problems with powering down does your xbmc shutdown to the display manager (black screen with a white x cursor)?
I gave up trying to install xbmc-live on natty as there seem to be a few changes under the hood in natty - mceusb drivers now included in kernel and changes to policykit (which causes the issues with shutting down for me). I found it easier to install xbmc-live and update alsa and nvidia drivers and I now have everything working as it should.
hi - yes, that is exactly what I mean. And yes, it seems to have something to do with policykit. I - however - have had some bad experience with running XBMC Live on my box - ion next gen with two USB 3.0 (I think) ports, where the latter doesn't seem to be properly supported under Maverick. (I get a random console readout about something called an 'ep ring')
I found this post which might help with the blank screen on shutdown.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showpost.php?p=801...stcount=22

I've seen this fix mentioned for the same problem on arch Linux.
Cheers! Will give it a go, when I get home
nope - didn't work, but thanks anyway