Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Creative X-FI HD USB] mpg123 not working, dual use of SPDIF and headphone jack
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello there,

I recently got the Creative X-Fi HD USB Soundcard and so far I am very pleased with the overall sound quality, but……..

The card didn’t work out of the box, according to this blogpost I put hw:1,1 and hw:1,2 into the sound device fields within xbmc. So far, so good. Music and Stereo are playing, 5.1 is phenomenal but I still have two problems:

1: The X-Fi has a headphone jack I’d like to use, but right now I have to change the sound output from hw:1,2 to hw:1,0 in the xbmc settings screen, which is far from ideal. If I put in hw:1,2 I only get the output over SPDIF, if I put in hw:1,0 I only get sound over the headphones. Is there a way to get sound over the headphone AND SPDIF? It should work, since it is one physical soundcard, no? Or do I have to use the dual audio patch to get both headphone and SPDIF output work at the same time?

2: I’m running the xbmcfreak version of XBMC 10.04 (PC is a Acer Revo) and since I changed from the onboard soundcard (disabled it in the BIOS), I can no longer make use of mpg123, aplay or mpd. It seems that they’re still trying to use the onboard soundcard and not the new USB one.

Starting mpg123 results in the following error message:
Code:
mpg123 *
[module.c:141] error: Failed to open module esd: file not found
[jack.c:250] error: Failed to open jack client: 0x1
[pulse.c:84] error: Failed to open pulse audio output: Connection refused
[audio.c:625] error: failed to open audio device
[audio.c:180] error: Unable to find a working output module in this list: alsa,oss,esd,jack,pulse,nas
[audio.c:527] error: Failed to open audio output module
[mpg123.c:847] error: Failed to initialize output, goodbye.

Starting aplay gives the following error message:

Code:
aplay  /usr/share/sounds/alsa/Noise.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM dmix
aplay: main:608: audio open error: No such file or directory

Here is the output of the alsa-info script.

http://pastebin.ca/2067397

Any help in resolving these issues is highly appreciated.

PS: I hope I included all the neccessary information in this thread, otherwise please let me know.

EDIT: Whoever approved my posting, thank you dear Sir :o)