Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Choppy HD video in XBMC, perfect with VLC???
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
1. Dharma 10.1
2. Xubuntu 10.10 Platform: Linux (XUbuntu 10.10, 2.6.38-02063805-generic i686).
3.i686, video is integrated intel i955. Hardware acc is enabled via xorg.conf file
4. install method -PPA
5. When I play HD video, I get choppy video. Stream #0.0: Video: mpeg4, yuv420p, 1280x720 [PAR 1:1 DAR 16:9], 23.98 tbr, 23.98 tbn, 23.98 tbc. tream #0.1: Audio: ac3, 48000 Hz, 5.1, s16, 448 kb/s
Playing HD video leads to high rate of frame drops framerate is about 17-21. 100s of frames skipped. Playing the same file with VLC results in perfect playback, with only 2 frames dropped for the same time of playback. I tried different settings, tried to put render to only software or different types of hardware, bu with no improvment. Any ideas how to better the performance?
Here is the log
LOG FILE

Any ideas how to fix that. I generally have trouble with video files, encoded with dst 5.1 audio Sad sound, video or both Sad

It seems performance is different with different kernels!!! Will report later!!!
This is bump(so please, help with info if you haveSadHuh) + some additional info added
1. Different kernels will improve or degrade playback - 2.6.38 kernels seem to perform best, 2.6.39 - worst.
2. Disabling pulse audio from autostart will slightly improve framedrop. It seems I am getting some audio errors while playing the file, according to log
3. When I set the Xubuntu AND XBMC to lower resolution (1024x768), the video is OK. When I set the resolution to 1360x768 the video playback of files with resolution 1280x720 or higher will be choppy...
Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?
pseudo7 Wrote:Have you tried disabling hardware acceleration?
You mean software rendering - in system>video playback,is it so? I tried. I try with a unstable build, but same result.
I will update the drivers...
The only good explanation that comes to mind is that XBMC is more resource intensive, and since the video card is neither very good, not that well supported under linux, the machine just struggles...
I will try to find an option that forces XBMC to play HD videos at lower resolution or something similar, cos I have this problem with videos above 1024xX, when played at res above 1024x768.