Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Restoring userdata compatibility
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Had a few questions re backing up the user data folder of XBMC (stable) from atv2. I have yet to try it.

1. My interpretation of the manual is that upon restoration, it will already have all the addons loaded. So if I reinstall XBMC, copy userdata across, run permissions, I am up and running.

2. Compatibility - assuming the backup is from atv2

> I assume that it will be compatible on a different atv2 device on the same os.
> Will it have any further cross platform compatibility, in particular atv1, Mac and windows.

I understand that the local sources would require reconfiguration.

Thanks!
1. Yes

2. The userdata folder is platform independant. You could restore it to a Windows or Linux installation and it would work.

JR
Cool, thanks JR.
Is there a trick to copying the userdata folder across. I am trying to copy a backup of one to a new xbmc installation on atv2. The size of the folder is 1gig. The error is that there isn't enough space. Its a brand new installation. I have tried to copy it using cyberduck which fails after about 170mb, and finder through netatalk which gives me the message about insufficient space.
You probably have cached info and/or images. Within the userdata folder you'll see a folder called cache and one called Thumbnails. I can't remember if it's safe to delete these folders, but I think it is.

JR
Yeah, I am sure I have images and heaps of them and I think that you are right about the option of deleting them.

But here is the thing. I thought what I might do is to try copying a folder at a time from within userdata. So I started with the addons folder which itself is 269mb. Now, in finder when I browse to the xbmc folder of atv2. It shows the free space at the bottom of the window as finder does...which in this case is 249mb. Hence I got the same message (insufficient space). So even if I try to remove the thumbnails, as you have suggested, it may not be enough.

When I setout to copy folder by folder, I had created a new folder called userdata on atv2 and renamed the the previous one to userdataold. Then I again tried to copy the userdata backup across. This time however, because there was an existing folder, it said as before ..cannot be completed, insufficient space... but at the same time, it asked me whether to stop or replace the existing folder. So I said replace and as I speak, it has copied about half of it across.
Lets see how it goes. I would still like to know why.. but I'll cross my fingers.
It is relatively safe to delete the mentioned folders, but you will miss a few things in the library-views, like fanart and such. You would have to rescan the library, it then should be restored.

However: The best way I discovered was the following:
1. Make a backup of the databases inside the XBMC via "Export Library"
2. Copy over the userdata-folder, but without the databases (they reside in databases/)
3. Start XBMC, let it create the databases and the import it from the earlier backup.

The only shortcoming I discovered here is that it takes a while to import the database...
Thanks, I will remember that alternative in future.

I guess, this is probably more an atv2/ios issue as to disk partitioning/usage. Really theres is plenty of space available so we shouldn't need to look at the two alternatives that you guys have mentioned. I am likely do more of these in the future for friends, which i why I'd like to understand it.

Atleast I know that there are other options available. The library rescanning is easier than recustomizing the skin and ofcourse any other xml mods that you may have made. Now almost the entire 1gig of the userdata folder is copied across but finder shows the same 249mb free. Interestingly the home directory of atv2 shows the 6gig free. This is the area that I am unsure Rolleyes
Well the end result was that it didn't work, even after copying the userdata folder and running permissions. The result was a semi transfer, the favourites and sources were there but nothing else.

I then transferred the addons folder separately, which eventually established a full restore.
Strange...seems indeed like a problem with the iOS-base. The behaviour is a little bit...uhm..."off" Wink
Well, there is certainly something "off". I wasn't able to make it work properly even after what I did. It had a few permission issues, followed by a failure to install any new addons or repos, manually or otherwise. Will have to do uninstall and reinstall xbmc and build it up from scratch.