Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Questions RE: Building Own Kernel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know what the requirements are for building a different kernel for my XBMC machine. I installed from the LiveCD and all is sweet, however I want to install some other software which requires me to recompile the kernel.

My main fear is losing the functionality of my remote. In the past I ran a debian system with custom kernels and could never get the remote to function properly.

If someone could confirm that it should be OK to simply recompile an xbmc-kernel (or provide the correct method for recompiling the kernel used with XBMC). Perhaps if there is a .config file I could use that would be great.

I know how to: configure, make, install, get sources.

Cheers Rofl
Do you really need to compile? I did some test with newer kernels, but I just google for 3rd party ppa with backports. The one I used was called edge something.

Changing the kernal could break the remote and other stuff. The remote however should perhaps be helped by an upgrade since the remote drivers have been moved into the kernel since version .37(?).
vikjon0 Wrote:Do you really need to compile?

Trying not to be rude, but if I didn't need to recompile I wouldn't have asked this question Tongue
I was asking because I though you may only need a new kernel.
The answer is the same, it will likely break stuff. First in line to be broken is nvidia (or whatever you use). I suspect from the drivers point of view it does not matter much if you or someone else is compiling?

Not to be rude if you compile your own kernal you shouldnt have to ask Wink
I have no problems compiling NVIDIA sources currently, I can't see how this would be any different because it's XBMC? It's just Ubuntu... Most applications I am trying to compile require the full compiled source to be available (including the corresponding autoconf.h). That's why I asked if there was a .config as I can use this to compile against a newer kernel Wink
If you are worried about your remote, I recommend reading this. It's a generic HID driver which maps any HID input to a keystroke/mouse action. I've yet to find a remote which it doesn't work with.
Thanks I've seen those keyboard emulators before and that's not what I am after (otherwise I wouldn't have bothered with XBMC, I chose it because it works straight out of the box Smile)