Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC for mac mini
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm looking for a good media streamer at home now, I'm tired of my old twix, freezing all the time.

I'm mostly streaming high definition video formats, so the software/hardware needs to handle the following formats well:

- mkv 1080p, 10-20gb size on a movie
- blu-ray rips, 20-50gb
- high definition audio formats like dolby true hd and dts master

Will a mac mini with xbmc handle this well without freezing and hanging all the time?
The new mac mini, yes.

Most mac mini's, yes.

Other considerations:
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=94268
As mentioned, new (within the last year or two) mac minis will do this just fine, but you can probably find other options that can do it for quite a bit cheaper.
Thanks for your reply guys.
I think I will try one of these.
I guess I have to hack this thing to get xbmc into it?
On a mac mini?
No, just install it like you would any other application for mac.
lehite Wrote:As mentioned, new (within the last year or two) mac minis will do this just fine, but you can probably find other options that can do it for quite a bit cheaper.
Even though the Mac mini is a lot more expensive than other available solutions I consider the Mac mini far superior for various reasons:
  • super silent & still powerful
  • green (power consumption while sleeping and in operation is very low)
  • has IR control built in, putting the device to sleep and waking it up works with remote control.
  • can be used as a video telephony device (adding a HD cam + Skype is an awesome solution given that it connects to TV set + AV receiver)
  • occasional couch surfing: not a problem (writing this from the couch)
  • no hassle w/ jail breaking to add additional software
  • no problem w/ add-on devices (keyboards, mice, cams, ...)
  • AirPlay support is there as well (shairport + AirPlayer). Especially shairport added the final feature I was missing coming from the ATV
  • probably a lot more...
As stated above, I never regretted going from an ATV1 to the Mac mini as my HTPC; same form factor but a *lot* more options and possibilities. Down side is the admittedly higher price...
I Think as you on the mac mini. I also am running mine as HTPC.

My only problem is that i'd like to run XBMC as standalone OS but in this way the apple remote controller doesn't work.
Do you know any solution to this? or another valid Media Center OS that installed as standalone OS is compatible with the apple remote controller?

Thanks

PS: at this page http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Rem...ol_Reviews there are some remote controller that should work.
But, is there on sale a remote controller (with an usb key as receiver) that works with MAC MINI and XBMC live?

Thanks
sinepen Wrote:I'm looking for a good media streamer at home now, I'm tired of my old twix, freezing all the time.

I'm mostly streaming high definition video formats, so the software/hardware -
high definition audio formats like dolby true hd and dts master

Will a mac mini with xbmc handle this well without freezing and hanging all the time?

You wont get HD Audio bitstreaming with any osx device as far as I am aware
Turb007 Wrote:You wont get HD Audio bitstreaming with any osx device as far as I am aware

You can play DTS-HD MA, but not Dolby Digital TruHD.
My Mac Mini which is a early 2009 model, can play any video I throw at it without any issues. I am also though connected with gigabit ethernet as opposed to using wireless. Hope that helps.