Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Disable mouse scroll wheel for video scrubbing
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
this is a huge problem for me, I always bump my mouse and the wheel moves a little bit and it skips around in the video I am watching

I just want this turned off, or maybe like VLC make it volume control - anything but scrubbing the video it really messes me up

and I have searched for hours and found nothing, all I find on google is about disabling it for ubuntu and I am not using that on this computer, or how to disable it for windows xp and other crap but nothing about xbmc and nothing that I can see in the settings menu

please help
well, whats up
Just don't bump your mouse... I guess that's not acceptable, otherwise you wouldn't bother posting. I have a logitech mouse and can map all the buttons and scroll wheel to whatever I like, I personally like the wheel scrubbing and use it a lot, but re-mapped that click button under the mouse to 'backspace' to access TV-Times menu.. So I guess this is a hardware dependant issue or you could experiment with C:\Program Files (x86)\XBMC\system\keymaps but a move to a standard remote would solve the issue.
Easy :-)

Just download the latest nightly build and in your userdata\keymaps folder create a file called mouse.xml containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <fullscreenvideo>
    <mouse>
      <wheeldown>noop</wheeldown>
      <wheelup>noop</wheelup>
    </mouse>
  </fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>

As from the 3rd June build, mouse actions can be mapped like key presses. I'll put the details on the Wiki in due course. In theory you could map the wheel actions to VolumeUp and VolumeDown, but in practice XBMC seems a bit eccentric in the way it handles the wheel. I'll have to go through the wheel handling code to work out what is going on.

JR

PS the usual warnings about nightly builds apply, plus note that using a nightly build will upgrade your database to a version that v10.1 cannot use, so backup or export your database before you upgrade.
I will give that a try

but I dont understand why there isnt or cant be an option that turns this off in the menu

I have been using xbmc since you had to have a xbox to run it - I even have some pre 1.0 builds on random cd's - I have noticed many upgrades but mostly the core has stayed the same, and since there was never a mouse to begin with maybe thats the problem

I dont know, but IMO its something that needs to be added as a feature - you can turn on and off mouse control but thats it

and I can remap my mouse using the logitech software no problem, its just that I want it to work properly for everything else I use the wheel for
Well you can easily disable the mouse completely from System settings, System, Input devices. This is in v10.1; you don't need the nightly build for this.

You only need to tinker with the mouse.xml if you only want to disable some of the mouse actions.

JR
This problem has been driving me CRAZY, I'm really surprised there isn't a way to disable scrubbing from the scroll wheel. It's especially easy for me to bump it and disrupt my video because it also reacts to the scroll strip in my laptop's touch pad. I looked around for 'mouse.xml' though I don't seem to have any such file on my HD.
Quote:Just download the latest nightly build and in your userdata\keymaps folder create a file called mouse.xml

Are you running the latest nightly? mouse.xml is not in the stable release.
foetus66 Wrote:This problem has been driving me CRAZY, I'm really surprised there isn't a way to disable scrubbing from the scroll wheel. It's especially easy for me to bump it and disrupt my video because it also reacts to the scroll strip in my laptop's touch pad. I looked around for 'mouse.xml' though I don't seem to have any such file on my HD.

Its not hard to add to settings, but if we added that then there is a million other small tweaks people want to do in settings and it all gets cluttered and complex. Obviously we would want xbmc to allow for easy mapping of keys in gui (something like games) but no dev have really stepped up to do it (giant giant undertaking, involves complete redesign of the input system).

As far as I know seeking with mouse is kindof the norm, and from what I can tell by the number of posts it seems like the people having troubles with it (or people noticing the feature Wink) is a minority. With the addition of the keymap for mouse we could disable it and have users which needs it to add the seek to the map, however I would like to see that the majority wants that (which is quite hard to find out sadly.).
There's not much point having the mouse wheel seek given that you can seek using a slider in current HEAD anyway, which is far more intuitive.
jmarshall Wrote:There's not much point having the mouse wheel seek given that you can seek using a slider in current HEAD anyway, which is far more intuitive.

I guess with slider it could be disabled. In the couch it can be easy to bump the scroll wheel. However on desktop afaik many do allow scroll via mousewheel.

Personally I like it and I use it more as a fast way to scroll back/forward something when I'm watching, I'm not using it to find a precise location, what I mean by this is that slider is not as useful in that case IMO. So while we could disable it and still have it quite useable I'm somewhat of the thinking they serve different purposes.

With slider and the keymap of mouse I don't really care either way, I can simply enable it again Smile
(2011-06-03, 18:58)jhsrennie Wrote: [ -> ]Easy :-)

Just download the latest nightly build and in your userdata\keymaps folder create a file called mouse.xml containing:

Code:
<keymap>
  <fullscreenvideo>
    <mouse>
      <wheeldown>noop</wheeldown>
      <wheelup>noop</wheelup>
    </mouse>
  </fullscreenvideo>
</keymap>

As from the 3rd June build, mouse actions can be mapped like key presses. I'll put the details on the Wiki in due course. In theory you could map the wheel actions to VolumeUp and VolumeDown, but in practice XBMC seems a bit eccentric in the way it handles the wheel. I'll have to go through the wheel handling code to work out what is going on.

JR

PS the usual warnings about nightly builds apply, plus note that using a nightly build will upgrade your database to a version that v10.1 cannot use, so backup or export your database before you upgrade.

I already have one of those files and in it it has - I didnt create it it was already there

<keymap>
<global>
<mouse>
<leftclick>leftclick</leftclick>
<middleclick>middleclick</middleclick>
<rightclick>rightclick</rightclick>
<doubleclick>doubleclick</doubleclick>
<wheeldown>wheeldown</wheeldown>
<wheelup>wheelup</wheelup>
<mousedrag>mousedrag</mousedrag>
<mousemove>mousemove</mousemove>
</mouse>
</global>
<SlideShow>
<mouse>
<leftclick>Pause</leftclick>
<rightclick>PreviousMenu</rightclick>
<wheelup>PreviousPicture</wheelup>
<wheeldown>NextPicture</wheeldown>
</mouse>
</SlideShow>
</keymap>

so where should I add this to because I have tried where I think it should go and it either disables the mouse buttons and the scroll wheel so I cant click onto anything but the arrow moves

(2011-06-23, 14:00)topfs2 Wrote: [ -> ]
jmarshall Wrote:There's not much point having the mouse wheel seek given that you can seek using a slider in current HEAD anyway, which is far more intuitive.

I guess with slider it could be disabled. In the couch it can be easy to bump the scroll wheel. However on desktop afaik many do allow scroll via mousewheel.

Personally I like it and I use it more as a fast way to scroll back/forward something when I'm watching, I'm not using it to find a precise location, what I mean by this is that slider is not as useful in that case IMO. So while we could disable it and still have it quite useable I'm somewhat of the thinking they serve different purposes.

With slider and the keymap of mouse I don't really care either way, I can simply enable it again Smile

yea but with the newest build of XBMC 11.0 I think if the OSD is up while you move the mouse wheel it waits till the OSD goes away before seeking, this is just broken can you please fix this problem or simply remove the abality for the mouse scroll wheel to do anything while the video is being played back

(2012-10-13, 11:21)leftkidney Wrote: [ -> ]yea but with the newest build of XBMC 11.0 I think if the OSD is up while you move the mouse wheel it waits till the OSD goes away before seeking, this is just broken can you please fix this problem or simply remove the abality for the mouse scroll wheel to do anything while the video is being played back

IIRC, this has been corrected in development builds (wiki) leading up to XBMC v12.
what was fixed, the OSD problem or the main problem - main problem being that the scroll wheel controls the seeking, this is a big problem for me

I have tried the editing of the mouse.xml file but it will just make the mouse buttons stop working or do nothing at all

I have since went back to an older build because of the OSD problem

on a side note can the OSD be made to stay open when playback is fast forwarding or rewinding, so that when I fast forward t stays open like one assumes it to - I have had my parents use xbmc for a few years now and they always ask for that feature, like most all dvr's do
I guess I misunderstood you. Looking at your post, you need to look in your userdata (wiki)/keymaps folder, not the XBMC system folder with all the default files. Then just create a new text file like jhsrennie said.

As for the OSD staying up during ff/rw, try another skin. Some offer this, but I don't recall any specific ones off hand.
Pages: 1 2