Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Does XBMC Live automatically create the asoundrc file? (re: HDMI sound)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm not getting any navigation/menu sounds over HDMI so I went to create an asoundrc file (using instructions from this post) but I noticed that a large .asoundrc file already exists for my xbmc user.

Did the xbmc-live package automatically create this file?

What do I need to modify to get the navigation/menu sounds working over HDMI?
I had to create the file myself (Using the Live CD - Dharma 10.1). Try renaming the file thats currently there and creating a new one with the information listed in that post, then restart. Also make sure you create the file as the xbmc user!
So I tried to change the .asoundrc file to the code in the above link and I lose menu sounds, but I still get audio from SD video files. However, I can't seem to get HD video files to give me any sound, depending on the settings in the audio output menu I either get static or pop-up that says 'audio device failed to initialize'

The .asoundrc code that seems to work better, as in I get menu sounds is:

pcm.!default {
type asym
playback.pcm {
type plug
slave.pcm "hw:0,3"
}
}

With that last night I actually had sound through HD video when I went to bed, but when I got up this morning I had no sound again.

I'm using an ATV with the crystal HD card, and dharma 10.1. The ATV is connected via HDMI to a samsung 50" plasma, the sound passes through the tv's optical out and goes to my LG surround sound. Is it possible that something could be going on with the HDMI handshake?

So I did a little more noob troubleshooting, If I reboot XBMC then everything works exactly like it should (audio output setting are: sudio output HDMI, DOlby and DTS are checked, output device is Defaults, and passthrough is HDMI). So everything is working good, but as soon as I watch an SD video, then if I go back to watch an HD one I get no sound and a pop-up saying audio device failed to initialize.
sofakng Wrote:I'm not getting any navigation/menu sounds over HDMI so I went to create an asoundrc file (using instructions from this post) but I noticed that a large .asoundrc file already exists for my xbmc user.

Did the xbmc-live package automatically create this file?

What do I need to modify to get the navigation/menu sounds working over HDMI?

The answer to your question is YES IT DOES. Hence its rather large because its configures everything except navigation sounds... And BTW Dont touch it, leave it alone.

if you want nav sound over HDMI just do what this guy did and another guy (me) said it would work and it does.

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=8...post846581