Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [RELEASE] Artist Slideshow addon (for skin integration)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19
pkscuot Wrote:You can do this manually now by preferences local artwork and then going through the cache folder periodically to move stuff you want to move. That's actually what I do right now (mostly in cases where I'm getting a weird mix of images in the downloads).

Yeah, that makes sense I suppose. I just figured that the local music folder would be a nicer home for all those nice images than buried in the appdata folder within indecipherable subfolders.

However on further thought, i wouldn't want a separate folder to be created for every artist that plays on a compilation or , worse, last.fm radio.

For me the ideal solution would be:
-if "artist" folder exists than place image in extrafanart folder within artist folder. (Creating extrafanart folder if necessary)

- If artist folder does not exist than place images in /local music path/other artist images/artist/extrafanart , creating these folders if necessary. That way the music folder wouldn't get cluttered up, but all images would be easily accessible.

I understand the reluctance to write new folders, but I personally would be willing to run the risk of running the script with this setup Smile

However if this isn't possible then your suggestion of copying images over periodically would certainly be a lot more practical if within the appdata cache the images were placed in folders based on the artist's name instead of cryptic folder names like "0ab78719". Any chance of that?

Of course I don't mean to sound greedy. Just as it already is this script is amazing beyond belief....just wondered if my ideal setup would appeal to other users too?

Quote:I assume based on your question that your local image folder is on an SMB share or something like that.

You're right, however only coincidentally! What I meant was: if XBMC cannot access the internet will it still use all the images from the cache and extrafanart folders?

Thanks so much again pkscout Smile
kiboy6 Wrote:However if this isn't possible then your suggestion of copying images over periodically would certainly be a lot more practical if within the appdata cache the images were placed in folders based on the artist's name instead of cryptic folder names like "0ab78719". Any chance of that?
It's another one of those "possible" answers, but I would need to do some digging to figure out why Ronie originally set it up to use the hash. If I was betting I would say it's to avoid having names with special characters that the local OS doesn't allow in a folder or file name.

The trick I use is to (a) just look at one of the images in the cache folder. If I don't recognize the artist I mostly figure I don't need the local fanart, or (b) open up one of the .nfo files created. That has the name of the artist in the first few lines.
[/quote]

Quote:If XBMC cannot access the internet will it still use all the images from the cache and extrafanart folders?

That is correct. If you can't access the internet any cached or user created local content will be used.
I have a new experimental version up for folks who would like to try it.

https://github.com/pkscout/script.artistslideshow

I've rewritten the transition manager to eliminate the fade to black through two mechanisms.

1- If there is only one image downloaded for an artist, the directory is never changed (since it is set only after the first download).

2- If there is more than one image, the script places the downloaded images in two directories. One is the local cache directory, and the other is a temporary directory. Whenever the script refreshes the directory, it switches from the directory it's currently using (i.e. local cache) to the other one (i.e. the temp directory). Once everything is downloaded the script makes sure it's in the cache directory and then deletes the images in the temporary directory.

How seamless this looks is going to depend a bit on your internet connection. I set the refresh minimum to 9 seconds, and unless I am really paying attention I can't tell the difference between the normal slideshow transition and the directory refresh.

I'm reworking the cache manager next. I think if I found away to avoid the nasty workarounds for Windows.

We're also making good progress on having another script call artistslideshow, so that will hopefully be available as an option to script writers/skinners a little further down the road.
NisseDILLIGAF Wrote:Don't have the time tonight.. maybe tomorrow..
I think it shouldn't be that hard to get it to work with radio... Smile

I looked at the pull request, and I see what you're doing. The mechanism for getting the artist name is going to change in the next version (to allow other scripts to call artistslideshow), so I think what I'll do is incorporate your changes into that.

What are you using to do the radio stuff? Is it an addon or something in XBMC I've never noticed? If you'll let me know what it is, I'll make sure to test with that as well.
pkscuot Wrote:I looked at the pull request, and I see what you're doing. The mechanism for getting the artist name is going to change in the next version (to allow other scripts to call artistslideshow), so I think what I'll do is incorporate your changes into that.

What are you using to do the radio stuff? Is it an addon or something in XBMC I've never noticed? If you'll let me know what it is, I'll make sure to test with that as well.

ok.. nice Smile
looking forward to see the new version...

well, the 'radio' is just a streaming adress...
'http://66.90.103.189:8910/' or 'http://sc-01.h4xed.us:7080/' that I put in a playlist... or a .strm file...
NisseDILLIGAF Wrote:well, the 'radio' is just a streaming adress...
'http://66.90.103.189:8910/' or 'http://sc-01.h4xed.us:7080/' that I put in a playlist... or a .strm file...

Ah. I think I'll leave it to you to test when I get that support added.

Speaking of which, there is a new experimental version available at:

I rewrote the cache manager. The good news is that seems more stable and doesn't require weird work-arounds for Windows. The "bad" news is that I got that stability be deleting only files within the cache directory, not the folders. So there will be lots of empty folders, but at least they won't take up any space.

I also rewrote the download manager (again). This one removes the last annoyance I had, which is that while image were downloading the refreshes seemed very random (they weren't, but they felt that way). The version now does it's best to sneak the refreshes in right around the time a transition would have happened anyway. It's a significant improvement, large enough so that I have made it the default behavior. In fact, it's the only behavior, as I removed the options from the settings to turn it off/on or change the timing.
pkscuot Wrote:Ah. I think I'll leave it to you to test when I get that support added.

Speaking of which, there is a new experimental version available at:

I rewrote the cache manager. The good news is that seems more stable and doesn't require weird work-arounds for Windows. The "bad" news is that I got that stability be deleting only files within the cache directory, not the folders. So there will be lots of empty folders, but at least they won't take up any space.

I also rewrote the download manager (again). This one removes the last annoyance I had, which is that while image were downloading the refreshes seemed very random (they weren't, but they felt that way). The version now does it's best to sneak the refreshes in right around the time a transition would have happened anyway. It's a significant improvement, large enough so that I have made it the default behavior. In fact, it's the only behavior, as I removed the options from the settings to turn it off/on or change the timing.

I really like that it does a refresh before downloading all images... that was a pretty annoying that it wouldn't change images... Smile

are you talking about 'artistfromarg-v2 branch' ??
I havent been looking at that one... will download that and have a look...

Thanx for all the work on this!
This is one of the things I can impress my friends with when they come over... Big Grin

One other thing... I've started looking for a Heavy metal download site for images... because allot of the time it doesn't find any images when I listen to music...
Don't know if I will succeed, but I will give it a try Smile
Thanks for all the work. Let us know when this gets released in the repository
NisseDILLIGAF Wrote:are you talking about 'artistfromarg-v2 branch' ?? I havent been looking at that one... will download that and have a look...

Yea, that's the one right now that has the "alternate" artist name options. It's not quite up-to-date with master, but it does have a new function called _get_current_artist. The changes you suggested in the old pull would get incorporated there.
pkscuot Wrote:Yea, that's the one right now that has the "alternate" artist name options. It's not quite up-to-date with master, but it does have a new function called _get_current_artist. The changes you suggested in the old pull would get incorporated there.
ok nice...
so you could do 'self.NAME = self._get_current_artist()' ??

I'm new to python so my skills isn't too good Rolleyes
I'm new to github also, so I'm trying to figure out how to change branch in git Bash.??

wont have to much time this weekend so I will try some more next week...
But the code is looking nice!

Have a great weekend!

EDIT: what is 'self.SKINARTIST' ?
EDIT2: nevermind, I found it Smile
This may sound silly, But could you make a list on the 1st post of this thread of all the skins that this add-on is known to support.

Keep up the good stuff
Oddsodz Wrote:This may sound silly, But could you make a list on the 1st post of this thread of all the skins that this add-on is known to support.

Keep up the good stuff

That would be a nearly impossible task and very hard to keep up to date.

Skin features will be listed here (still being worked on to get up-to-date):
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Com...n_features
@ NisseDILLIGAF, pkscuot

thanks for your continued work on getting this script to work with iRadio streams!!

looking forward to the next version!
Oddsodz Wrote:This may sound silly, But could you make a list on the 1st post of this thread of all the skins that this add-on is known to support.

Keep up the good stuff

I can recommend [MOD] Cirrus Extended v2 Big Grin
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=102066
There's a option in system/skin to activate Artist Slideshow..

It's the skin that i use...
with my small mod to the channel guide, if u have liveTV (PVR)... Wink
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?p=1...ost1027465
locomot1f Wrote:@ NisseDILLIGAF, pkscuot

thanks for your continued work on getting this script to work with iRadio streams!!

looking forward to the next version!

My fork in github works with radio...
https://github.com/NisseDILLIGAF/script.artistslideshow
use this only if u want it to work with radio..!
you can try this one for now... until pkscuot get the 'radio' function in...
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19