Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: HELP-VLC wont go away
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm sure this is a simple fix, but I am missing something obvious. My previous player was vlc. I have since upgraded to PowerDVD10 which yields a much better picture. When I click on a movie, it still plays vlc even though I have changed all the program extensions to play powerdvd.

So, thinking I would be smart, I DELETED vlc. Now when I click on a movie, it doesn't play at all. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
You must have configured a playercorefactory.xml file to set VLC as the external player. You just need to edit the file to use PowerDVD instead.

JR
I never did this, unless it does it automatically. I looked in playercore and there is no specific reference to VLC.

Update: Looks like all the file associations in Powerdvd are unchecked by default except .vob

Thanks
When you say:

Update: Looks like all the file associations in Powerdvd are unchecked by default except .vob

you're presumably referring to the Windows file associations. XBMC doesn't use these. It isn't clear from your mesage whether your talking about playing videos in XBMC, or playing them from Windows. If it's the latter, this isn't really the place to ask about the problem.

JR
Yes, I thought that would correct the problem, it did not. Still when I click on a movie, it does nothing. when I was using VLC, it would start and play fine, exept the quality was terrible compared to Powerdvd.

I have never made a separate playercorefactory file so I can't figure out what the problem might be. Any help would certainly be appreciated. I can play the movies directly from Powerdvds front end, but is no where near as cool as XBMC's.

Help

Mark
We need to see a debug log. Enable debug logging from System settings, System, Debugging then close XBMC. Start XBMC, attempt to play a video then close XBMC again. Now put the log file on pastebin.com and post the link here.

A quick way to open the log is to press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\xbmc.log"

then click OK, and the log should open in Notepad. From this you can copy and paste it into pastebin.com.

JR
Thanks for the reply's. Here is the pastebin...

http://pastebin.com/s4wrXqdF

Looks like it isn still defaulting to VLC. I am too stupid to know how to fix it. Thanks again for your help.

Mark
At some point your XBMC has been configured to use VLC as an external player. This has been done by creating a file called playercorefactory.xml in C:\Users\Mark\AppData\Roaming\XBMC\userdata or possible by editing C:\Program Files\XBMC\system\playercorefactory.xml.

I would try renaming the file to see if XBMC will use the built in player. Press Windows-R and in the Run dialog type:

"%appdata%\xbmc\userdata"

and click OK, and an Explorer window will open. In this window will be a file called playercorefactory.xml. Rename this to e.g. playercorefactory-old.xml then run XBMC and try playing a video.

JR
Thank you. Thank you. Worked perfectly.

Mark