Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [LIVE] Help updating ALSA to 1.0.24
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I'm trying to update ALSA to the latest version (1.0.24) in order to hopefully get audio over a new video card working via HDMI but have been having trouble doing so.

I done the following to install Team iQuick's PPA as listed here, but my ALSA version still seems to be 1.0.23 even though as far as I can tell using this PPA should allow me to update to 1.0.24:

Code:
add-apt-repository ppa:team-iquik/alsa
add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-audio-dev/ppa
apt-get update
apt-get upgrade
apt-get install linux-alsa-driver-modules-$(uname -r) --force-yes

I also tried compiling from source following the steps here but that somehow managed to mess up my install altogether and alsa still reported that it was version 1.0.23. Has anyone any advice or am I doing something wrong?
Hi there.

I managed to update Alsa version 1.0.23 to 1.0.24 by following THIS guide:

Good luck! Wink
When you run 'sudo apt-get upgrade' does it tell you that some updates have been held back? If so run 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade'
What version of Ubuntu are you running?

What does
Code:
apt-cache policy alsa-driver
show?
@ darkscout

I'm using the live version of XBMC 10.1 (Dharma):

Code:
Linux XBMCLive 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:54:21 UTC 2011 i686 GNU/Linux

When I run that command it says "W: Unable to locate package alsa-driver"

@ teeedubb

It did say that, but after running the dist-upgrade I'm no better off, alsa doesn't want to budge from version 1.0.23 Sad

Even after running the upgrade script in Devaron's post, which successfully completes without error, alsa still hasnt upgraded.
Oops. How about:

apt-cache policy alsa-base
All I read on first post, i put it down to user error...
I'm sure it is something I'm doing.. I just don't know what. Even running the script to update doesnt (seem to) work.

I've installed Ubuntu 11.04 to see if I'd have any more luck and now aplay -l shows the Nvidia card but I've still been unable to get the sound working. I'm in work now so I'll update with more info when I get home - thanks!
im not going to be releasing any updates for anything above lucid for a long while...

But lemme give youa clew, when something doesnt work you should post any errors and logs or something that didnt go right just saying this is what I done doesnt work wont get you any "real" help, just a lot of guesses and more advice that doesnt help fixing the issue in fact Im sure that running the script ontop of the alsa buggered something up.

What I would do is purge all alsa packages and then install the new ones, but since you went to 11.04 good luck trying to get xbmc running decently.
Can you get speaker-test working with the shown aplay devices?
Hi Guys,

Just to let you know, I gave up on trying to upgrade alsa and installed a minimal version of Ubuntu 11.04, then installed XBMC Live on it.

I was able to get sound working over HDMI using the guide here.

Thanks for all your help Smile
your welcome and at least you went and tried things, and got it working, well done.