Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: wake an external HD from another computer
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello, I have my revo in the lounge dstairs which is connected to an external 2tb disk, my media PC. Sometimes when I work upstairs I like to watch stuff in the background, so i've put XBMC on my pc upstairs and shared my F: (media drive) over the network on my revo. When my revo goes to sleep I can no longer access the shared disk. Does anyone know how to setup windows 7 to be able to wake another computer?
A wake on lan signal might work. Try mapping a key to WakeOnLan(mac), where "mac" is the MAC address of the Revo's LAN adapter.

JR
As far as i'm aware i've turned on wake on lan, as well as magic packet (not sure what that is) I really need to know what settings specifically need to be turned on for this to work, or if there's anything XBMC can do to wake the machine up? can you also delete the other thread please I posted here as I thought more people would see it...
If I've misunderstood what you meant above please ignore this, but enabling Wake On LAN doesn't mean the PC will wake up as soon as someone tries to use it across the network. Wake On LAN uses a specially formatted network packet and only this packet will wake a sleeping PC. Enabling WOL on the downstairs PC is a necessary first step, but now you need to work out how to send the WOL packet to your downstairs PC from your upstairs PC.

That's where the XBMC function I mentioned above comes in. If you create a userdata keyboard.xml on your upstairs PC with something like:

Code:
<keymap>
  <global>
    <keyboard>
      <w mod="ctrl">WakeOnLan(12-34-56-78-90-AB)</w>
    </keyboard>
  </global>
</keymap>

then when you press ctrl-W XBMC will send a WOL packet to your PC downstairs and hopefully it will spring into life. Note that you need to replace 12-34-56-78-90-AB by the MAC address of the downstairs PC. To get the MAC address open a command prompt and type ipconfig /all, and in the output look for something like (this is from my PC):

Code:
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom NetXtreme 57xx Gigabit Controller
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-1A-A0-0B-3D-5B

JR