Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Instructions for installing PPAs on Ubuntu? (do I only need the three packages?)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I prefer to install Ubuntu myself (instead of using XBMC-Live) but I can't seem to find the installation instructions on the wiki.

The instructions went something like this:

1) Add team-xbmc PPA repo
2) Install xbmc and xbmc-standalone packages
3) Manually create xbmc user
4) Install xbmc-live
5) Install nVidia drivers

Does that sound right? Do I need the xbmc user? Do I need the "xbmc-standalone" package?

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: By the way, does XBMC Live support irw (from LIRC; I assign a special remote keypress to restart XBMC in case of hangs, etc)? Does it support updating the nVidia drivers?
Have you tried this guide?

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu
That's the one I was trying to find. How did I miss it??

Quick question though - do I need to install the "xbmc-standalone" package? It's not listed in the guide.

Thanks so much!
yes you do need it...
sofakng Wrote:That's the one I was trying to find. How did I miss it??

Quick question though - do I need to install the "xbmc-standalone" package? It's not listed in the guide.

Thanks so much!

I think that is installed automatically when you install the "xbmc-live" package. I could be mistaken but when using the XBMCbuntu guide I have never had to install "xbmc-standalone" separately.