Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC with ATV2 from OSX Lion Machine
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Guys, been trying to get this working but even though I have NFS shares setup correctly in Lion (same shares as I had previously under Snow Leopard) and other machines can mount these shares without a problem (other Mac's but also a Linux machine) the AppleTV NFS seems to be broken.

Typically I have in a fstab file with a line like this:

Code:
MacMini:/Volumes/Video /Users/xxx/Movies/Video nfs ro,user,rsize=32768,readahead=16 0 0

This mounts my MacMini Video NFS share to the xxx account on my machine into the Movies/Video folder on my local machine.

I have tried a few combinations via the GUI to get this share enabled on the MacMini with no luck. When I try it via the command line mount command, I get an error that
Code:
/System/Library/Filesystems/nfs.fs/Contents/Resources/mount_nfs is not found.

Looking in /System/Library/Filesystems it only contains hfs.fs for Apple's HFS filesystem. So it seems to me that the required nfs file system code is not part of either the latest offical (which I tried earlier) and the latest nightly from today (which I just tried now). So how are people getting this to work? If so can they share how they did this on their AppleTV.

Also, for those people who got this working where would I mount the video folder locally on the AppleTV so that XBMC can see it. I have a few SMB shares from a different computer shared and working happily on the AppleTV but I cannot see where on the filesystem they are mounted. It must be some XBMC specific share, which might explain why the command line mount doesn't work if people have it working within XBMC. I.e. SMB / NFS code is XBMC specific and doesn't rely on the underlying OS support.

One final thing is someone suggest using showmount -e to diagnose issues, but what commands (other than mount) can I run on the AppleTV as showmount isn't part of the AppleTV build I have. Is it possible to get this via apt-get?

Sorry for the long email, but I would like to get to the bottom of this issue ASAP.

Jerome
just read the wiki entry in my sig for nfs and osx ( at least snow leo ) it works definitly and it is not broken in xbmc ... you don't mount it on atv2 because atv2 cant't mount - just add it as source similar to smb...
Memphiz Wrote:just read the wiki entry in my sig for nfs and osx ( at least snoe leo ) it works definitly and it is not broken in xbmc ... you don't mount it on atv2 - just add it as source...

Thanks, I made a little progress, using the IP address and adding it as a source it appears to recognise the shares and adds them but they are completely empty. I would have thought this was a permissions thing but I have the shares fully available and shared as per your Wiki entry already. And as I said all other computers on my network can see them quite happily.

I might try building my own version from the source tomorrow night and see can I get any closer to a solution. Thanks for the help.
jeromeof Wrote:Thanks, I made a little progress, using the IP address and adding it as a source it appears to recognise the shares and adds them but they are completely empty. I would have thought this was a permissions thing but I have the shares fully available and shared as per your Wiki entry already. And as I said all other computers on my network can see them quite happily.

I might try building my own version from the source tomorrow night and see can I get any closer to a solution. Thanks for the help.

They will be empty unless you a) scan them into the lib or b) browse to them in file.
jeromeof Wrote:Thanks, I made a little progress, using the IP address and adding it as a source it appears to recognise the shares and adds them but they are completely empty. I would have thought this was a permissions thing but I have the shares fully available and shared as per your Wiki entry already. And as I said all other computers on my network can see them quite happily.

have a look into xbmc.log and search for nfs errors ... i only want to prevent that you spend much time for building the source and then realise that its still a setup issue ... Wink

btw .... folders in file mode also appear empty, if they don't have media files in it Wink
Memphiz Wrote:have a look into xbmc.log and search for nfs errors ... i only want to prevent that you spend much time for building the source and then realise that its still a setup issue ... Wink

btw .... folders in file mode also appear empty, if they don't have media files in it Wink

Thanks but I have the same directories shared via both NFS and SMB. I have a linux machine, a macbook and a WDTV all happily using the NFS shares and I only have the SMB share because of the AppleTV and a old work windows laptop. And I have always had the AppleTV in file mode, don't like the idea of scanning the media, always seemed a waste of time/resources to me since I have it all nicely setup in the folders the way I want. I will check the log files tomorrow, bit busy tonight.
Memphiz Wrote:btw .... folders in file mode also appear empty, if they don't have media files in it Wink

in file mode with my NFS share from OSX I can't see any of the subdirectories in my share, only the files in the root of the share.

what am i doing wrong? i am using the -alldirs flag in my exports file.
I resorted to firing up an old G4 Desktop, mounting the drives where files were stored on the Lion machine onto the G4 and it's works perfectly.
If you add network location for your Mac e.g. smb://iMac then follow these instructions it should work fine.

http://forums.boxee.tv/showthread.php?t=38629
trevorcobb Wrote:in file mode with my NFS share from OSX I can't see any of the subdirectories in my share, only the files in the root of the share.

what am i doing wrong? i am using the -alldirs flag in my exports file.

This is a problem with the removal of file view mode. If you scan them, they should work just fine.
FragileTension Wrote:This seems to work for me.

Big Grin

So now you can play movie in XBMC on ATV2 (streaming with SMB on Lion)?
SimonL Wrote:So now you can play movie in XBMC on ATV2 (streaming with SMB on Lion)?

Indeed!
any link for Xcode 4.1?
nutsofamily Wrote:any link for Xcode 4.1?

You have a dev only copy of Mac OS 10.7 but don't know where to download xcode? Try not to be so obvious that you pirated it.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9