Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Can I create a .nfo for a "Movie Set"?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hello all,

I have recently discovered the "Movie Set" feature in XBMC and I am loving it so far. The only issue I have is that once I get a set created and choose my thumbnail, there is no information about the set other than the title. (see screenshot)

Is there a way to create a .nfo for the movie set itself? I would like to have it list all the movies in the set under the set name etc.

Ive searched pretty extensively and cant find a way to do this but you guys are a lot smarter than I am!

I really appreciate any help...this is the only issue standing between me an Library Nirvana!!
Yes there is... Its an seemingly complicated process especially if you a large collection with lots of sets but its doable.

First thing you want to do is make a folder within your movies folder (whatever you had xbmc set for movies) and name that folder whatever set you want. Eg, have a folder called godfather in your movies folder and put all your godfather movies in that folder. This step is not necessary but great when the clutter starts.

Do the same for every other set you have.

Now within XBMC, the best thing to do is just go to settings> video> library and export your library. you will see the option. this will make xbmc generate an .nfo file for every movie in your library and store it in your associated movie folder. The nfos for your godfather movies will be stored in the folder that has the godfather movies within your movies folder (this is why making a separate folder for them is important). Oh, when choosing to export, say no to export thumbs and export as separate files and if its the first time you are doing this say yes to overwrite existing files (nfos). When next you do this you can say no to overwrite existing that way only the new stuff you put in will get nfos.

Lastly, within those nfos there are two fields you need to add in, just copy and past this in your nfo file

<sorttitle>1</sorttitle>
<set>Chronicles Of Riddick Collection</set>

I have mine set up such that i just use 1,2,3...etc in sort title to determine the order that the movies were released (parts) and you can put whatever name you want xbmc to display as the set name within the set feild and save the nfo file. any text editor should be able to open your nfo files.

Thats it..... see what i meant when i said it was an unnecessarily complicated process? Now imagine if like me you had over 150 movies that needed to be put into sets lol...

Hope that helps.
Lorddeff he knows how to create sets he wants information about the set in the library when on the set thumb and to answer the question this isn't currently possible

Your also going about creating sets the hard way there's no need to export your library you can just use the set tag and movie url in a nfo assuming you don't just use a media manager that supports sets instead, alternatively you can just create sets directly in the database using XWMM
Check out this (haven't used it myself but remember reading about it):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89163
>>X<<' Wrote:Lorddeff he knows how to create sets he wants information about the set in the library when on the set thumb and to answer the question this isn't currently possible

Your also going about creating sets the hard way there's no need to export your library you can just use the set tag and movie url in a nfo assuming you don't just use a media manager that supports sets instead, alternatively you can just create sets directly in the database using XWMM

Exactly. I used XWMM to create the sets which worked perfectly. I was just hoping to make the sets "prettier". Apparently this isnt possible which makes me sad in the pants but I guess I will survive! Thanks for the answer X.
live4ever Wrote:Check out this (haven't used it myself but remember reading about it):
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=89163

Ya I came across that addon after I posted and it looks really promising. The only issue is that it is Skin specific. I may give it a try anyway as one of the skins is actually pretty nice.

Thanks for the help everyone, looks like xbmc doesnt yet support what I am trying to do. But hey, its still the best media center on the planet so it's all good!