Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Slow Browsing - Original XBMC v Modern XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I've been using XBMC to stream video files from my desktop PC for many years now. Originally (and still occasionally on an original Xbox) and latterly on a Win XP PC and now an Apple TV 2 (running the latest nightly build).

Most of my content lives in MY DOCUMENTS on my PC, and this is a BIG directory that contains hundred of files and folders.

One thing I've noticed is that browsing into MY DOCUMENTS with XBMC on the original Xbox only ever took say 5 seconds, whereas on the PC and now IOS versions, it can take as long as 5 minutes to list the contents of MY DOCUMENTS.

Any ideas why this is? Seems strange that the ancient old Xbox version could do it so much faster.

The old Xbox was 802.11g too, whereas the PC and ATV2 are 802.11n.

Thanks.
Without seeing a debug log we can't say one way or another. It could be some weird file(s) in the folder that's causing it.
jmarshall Wrote:Without seeing a debug log we can't say one way or another. It could be some weird file(s) in the folder that's causing it.

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a log up here. I'm new to the intricacies of XBMC on ATV2, but I do note that even now the old Xbox can list the contents of MY DOCUMENTS in seconds and the ATV2 takes minutes, which makes me think the latest XBMC is less efficient at browsing large remote directories.

I'll try and make a donation shortly too, in gratitude for the years of pleasure XBMC has given me. Feel bad I haven't done so before!