Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Playlist is empty?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Is there anyway of knowing if the video or music playlist has content or is empty?

I'd like to add a 'Playlist' button to the Video and Music sections only if there is something queued.

If not, can I request a condition for it please?

Thanks.
You can use infolabel Playlist.Length to determine if there is something in active playlist.

If you want to add dedicated links for video/audio playlist then use: VideoPlayer.PlaylistLength (or MusicPlayer.PlaylistLength) and builtin ActivateWindow(videoplaylist) (or ActivateWindow(musicplaylist))

Note: Between Dharma and nightlies there is change in behaviour of "playlist" action. In dharma this would take You to video playlist if You are in video library/files and to music playlist if you're in music library/files. In nightlies playlist action will take You to currently active playlist.
Thanks, I did try that but they're only valid when the playlist is actually playing.

What I'm after is a way of knowing when an item has been queued, but not yet playing, and then display the Playlist button.
Then You're out of luck unfortunately - as You said those infolabels will work only if playlist is active.

If playlists were mentioned ... I'm currently working on redoing playlist system from scratch so there won't be much (if any) updates on current system as it will be eventually replaced.

Some overview about changes:
- there won't be predefined playlists (VIDEO and MUSIC playlist will be gone)
- playlist won't be limited to one type of media (technicly they aren't now too but VIDEO and MUSIC playlist suggest they are)
- user will be able to have as many playlists as he likes (so if he start new playlist he still will be able go back to his previous playlist) (they might be cleaned automaticly if not used for reasonably long amount of time and/or there is lot of playlists)
- playlist editor will be refreshed to allow editing of current playlist (and other already loaded playlists)
- playlist windows (seperate for music and video) will be replaced by unified playlist dialog
These of course can change over time but it shows direction I'm heading. If You guys have any suggestions about playlist related UI adjustments or playlist in general let me know!
pieh Wrote:If You guys have any suggestions about playlist related UI adjustments or playlist in general let me know!

I think the current music playlist editor is user friendly, though it could probably use improvement in small areas. I'd like to see the same music playlist editor applied to both video and movies also. A global playlist editor for video & music:

It would be nice to see it all unified as one. As a new user to XBMC, the video playlist section was quite a puzzle to figure out, even after reading the documentation. The music playlist editor on the other hand was more intuitive and straight forward.

Click and Drag support, if possible, would be useful for those who use a mouse. On this topic, a tip for the mouse users is to hover over the items you want to add in the left column, then hit "q" to add to the playlist. It's a very fast method to creating playlists. Hopefully we'll see this editor being more global and not restricted to just music.

Pieh, if you have any builds with your new playlist system, I'm willing to beta test on my end and give feedback. I'm looking forward to the new playlist overhaul you've developed.

Shane
Shane_J Wrote:Pieh, if you have any builds with your new playlist system, I'm willing to beta test on my end and give feedback. I'm looking forward to the new playlist overhaul you've developed.
And so do I ;P Unfortunately I focused on other things and this never really moved out of planning stage. Given that in last 3 months I didn't really have time to work on xbmc (apart from really casual and simple bug-fixing) I don't think I will be able to work on this in near future
Quote:Originally Posted by pieh
If You guys have any suggestions about playlist related UI adjustments or playlist in general let me know!
  • A Boolean check like IsOnPlaylist(ListItem, playlistID) would be nice for a number of different reasons. If you're building a really long play list through individual songs or videos (versus groups at a time), it would be nice to be able to indicate what is already on the list. In my jukebox project this would be nice because it would allow me to prevent something like "Who let the dogs out" being queued 10 times in a playlist just because it is a certain user's favorite song.

• It would be nice to have a setting for playlists to remove items after they have been played. For a playlist of my favorite songs I probably would never want that option turned on. However, I will use playlists a lot of times to supplement my ever fading memory. I may create a playlist of things to watch, and may not watch them in the order I add them to the list and that’s where this feature would be nice.

Thanks