Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Looking for help with HTPC build
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I posted in the my first htpc thread and eskro advised me to start a new thread so here i am.

Im currently running xbmc on my big desktop which has 2 external hard drives hooked up to it full of 3tbs of hd content and is hooked up to my tv in the sitting room but im getting rid of the desktop now and want something more compact and stylish.

My desktop doesnt even have hdmi and its a bit of an eyesore taking up too much space.

I was going to get an Xtreamer Ultra but after reading here im thinking of reconsidering.

I want to run mainly 720p and some 1080p stuff to my tv, wont be gaming at all. I dont have a seperate sound system yet but probably will in the future so maybe future proof for that. It would be handy to be able to stream stuff. Id like it to boot very fast and work by remote etc and id like a lot of storage or at least the option to expand in the future.

Im reading about NAS etc but its all a lot to take in and ive never built a pc myself or anything like that.

Could someone advise me what to go for??

Thanks in advance.
well, first you need to decide if your OK with building it yourself...
because if not, its OK, just grab a small NETTOP computer...

those are already pre-assembled often requiring only that you
buy the RAM and Hard Drive separately and install them
yourself.. but its pretty much straight forward and
you just cant go wrong...

but some NETTOPS do come complete..
like its already ready to roll! RAM and Hard Drive included and installed for you!

But in any of those cases, it'll still require you to install an Operating System...
LInux or WIndows,, whatever you feel more comfortable with!

I have a feeling your a WIndows Guy,
so, example of such Nettops you could get is the ZBOX ZBOXHD-ND22-U ($259)
yes, you need to buy the RAM and the HArd Drive yourself
and do the installation....
but its great! because now, you can buy a small 30GB or 32GB SSD
which will make your system Snappier!
and not to mention, will make your system boot fast too!!

the Patriot Torqx-2 32GB ($69) would be perfect for the job!!

Now 2GB's of RAM is also enough for HTPC use and XBMC,,,,
this Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 204-Pin DDR3 ($26) RAM kit would be sweet in there!

and about the remote, well, under windows, it really easy,
cheapest one you can get is probably the
Anyware GP-IR02BK Universal remote control Infrared ($19)

SO your looking into a $373 total investment here...

not bad for a system that eats FULL 1080P Blurays for BreakFest,
Stream Hi-Def Web Content (NetFlix-HD) for Launch,
and experience %100 fluid menu transitions from any of the so called 'Heavy' XBMC skins!!
Oh yeah, it looks great too and its insanely compact!!

Other nice features it has:
-- Rear HDMI Port
-- Rear Optical output Port
-- Rear e-SATA Port
-- WiFi N (150Mbps)
-- Gigabyte Ethernet (10/100/1000Mbps)
-- Many Front and Rear USB2.0 Ports
-- Front Audio Jacks
-- Front 6 in 1 Card Reader

So what are the negatives then?
Here they are from my point of you...
they might not be negatives for you:
-- Cant BitStream HD-Audio to a compatible HD-Audio/Video Receiver to decode
-- Cant install an Internal Optical Disc Drive

Finally, you can read a review made by SilentPCreview.com
here --> http://www.silentpcreview.com/zotac-zbox

hope this helps Smile
Hey eskro,

Just wondering, does the Zbox perform better than the Revo 3610? I am looking for another Nettop for my bedroom, and am trying to figure out whivh one to get. The Revo comes with a Windows 7 license, 2 GB of ram, and a hard drive. Even if I add the SSD you linked to, I'll only be out $335, versus $354 for the Zbox build. Plus I would have to buy a Windows 7 license. Does the Zbox outperform the Revo? Not to mention, the wireless keyboard & mouse come in handy sometimes. Big Grin

Revo 3610 refurbished $265.

Anyway, thanks in advance for some insight, eskro.

Matt
Revo 3610 uses the sufficient but rather anemic ATOM CPU....
While the ZOTAC ND22 uses a Dual-Core Celeron CPU!!
Zotac will definitely pawn your Revo 3610!!
Hands Down!
eskro,

Could you be more specific, please? I haven't noticed any problem with my Revo playing 1080p mkv's. I'm willing to upgrade if necessary. i just want to know what I am upgrading for? What makes the atom cpu "anemic"?

Thanks,
Matt
as i said, Revo 3610 uses the sufficient but rather anemic ATOM CPU..
meaning, its sufficient for 1080P playback as we all know....
http://www.silentpcreview.com/zotac-zbox
I want to try out this Zbox. You need to sell me better than that! Wink

I just need to justify the extra $$$ somehow, especially if I have to shell out for another W7 license. Help me!! Nod

Matt
Eskro,
Don't mean to hijack, but do you think the Zbox would be able to do sab sickbeard processing while simultaneously running xbmc?
well i think i've recall some users to do it yes,
however, getter to create a new thread about it to be sure..
Nice link, eskro. I read through all 6 pages, and from what I can tell, the Zbox would be the better choice if I wanted to do what jdwoods just asked you about. But for XBMC and media playback alone, I wouldn't notice any performance enhancements with the Zbox over the Revo. Does this sound about right?

jdwoods poses a great question, though. I actually just finished installing Sab, Sickbeard, and Couch Potato on my Revo XBMC Live. I haven't had a chance to test it out with simultaneous processing while watching a video on XBMC. I will start a new thread once I try it out. I'm not much of a Linux person myself, but I figured out how to install the apps. Man, I love Google!

If the Revo fails at this task, i will retire it to the bedroom, buy the Zbox, load it up with XBMC Live, Sab, Sickbeard, and Couch Potato, and give it a go!! Thanks eskro!! Cool

Matt
i have nothing at all against the ATOM cpu's...
they are sufficient for 1080P playback under Linux preferably...
WIndows7 is too heavy....

But for more intensive tasks,
the Celeron CPU is definitely gonna handle those in a better way!
and for Windows7 Lovers like me,
rest assure, Celeron CPU can handle the OS with ease!
maddog808 Wrote:But for XBMC and media playback alone, I wouldn't notice any performance enhancements with the Zbox over the Revo. Does this sound about right?

well i have to say yes,
however,
regarding the use of Heavy XBMC Skins,
like AEON MQ2,
the Celeron CPU will enable Fluid menu transitions....
I can say from personal experience, that you are 100% correct. I used AEON MQ2, and everything was smooth EXCEPT those damn menu transitions. I ended up switching to NEON skin using "poster" view type. It works flawlessly, and I've actually forgotten how AEON looked. Blush

Also, we cancelled DirecTV, and use NZBs for TV shows. Except NOBODY uploads "Days Of Our Lives", which my wife watches religiously. I had her booting into W7, using HULU to watch the episodes, but it was a pain. The playback wasn't bad, though. I can't wait till the PVR branch of XBMC is complete. Hopefully I will be able to use my HDHomerun tuner to pick up the local networks, and integrate them nicely into XBMC.

Sorry, got off on a tangent there. So, for this ND22, can I expect the price to come down anytime soon? Or is $259 about as good as it's gonna get? I've read a lot of your posts, and you seem to watch hardware prices more than anyone else on this forum. I think I'll get one, steal the SSD out of my Revo, put a HDD back into the Revo, and make the Zbox my new HTPC for the main TV room.

You did it again, eskro. Another satisfied customer!! Laugh

Matt
Good choice Matt Smile

price wont go down for now...

it sells good Like it is, unfortunately for us Tongue
Pages: 1 2