Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: coming over from mythtv, maybe run mixed w/XBMC
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For various reasons, I'm coming over to XBMC from Mythtv. (I do less recording from TV, have a comcast DVR when I do record, and will start on picking up TV series via torrent when I need to).

As a result, I have a nice central server model (NAS, tuners, blah blah) from Mythtv that I need to start thinking about under an XBMC model.

Should I keep the Mythtv server and media mapping and rely on UPnP for serving my movies/media? Or, is there a better behavior under the XBMC model for dealing with media homed on a central NAS for multiple XBMC clients?

Since there's no real XBMC server as far as I can tell, I'm trying to figure out how to do the least work to get the most integration/benefit.

TIA!
surfinbox Wrote:Or, is there a better behavior under the XBMC model for dealing with media homed on a central NAS for multiple XBMC clients?

Usually you would share the files from the NAS, using SMB, NFS, or whatever suits you best, then run XBMC on the clients and read the media from the shared directories. You can give each XBMC client it's own database, which can have advantages e.g. for a children's PC, or you can use a shared central database on a MySQL server.

JR