Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC don't want to start automatically
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all, I have XBMC running with ubuntu 11.04 minimal installation. Everything works fine but now, when I start the system stucks at grub waiting for a manual intervention. Once selected boot fine. I don't have another operating system in the same computer.

I tried to reinstall the xbmc-live package but don't solve the problem. The grub configuration files appears to be OK.

I was searching in the forum but I can't find something similar.

Grub config file

Thanks in advance

PD: Sorry for the language I'm spanish
check /etc/default/grub

there should be lines like:
GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT_QUIET=true
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3

The example means e 1st option in the grub menu list is the default and wait for 3sec before loading it.

if you change anything, run this after
sudo update-grub
I may be misunderstanding you but it sounds like you only have one partition on your drive and you are trying to run two different OS's. XBMC Live is its own OS - a stripped down Linux build with nothing but the essentials to run XBMC and Ubuntu is a full fledged OS you can install a regular version of XBMC onto, just like any other OS. XBMC Live and Ubuntu both need their own partitions just like Windows and Ubuntu would need their own partitions and Grub would let you pick which partition to boot from.

Excuse me if I am misunderstanding. To be honest I don't know enough about your Grub log to sort out if that is indeed what is happening but just based on your comment.

If want to boot into Ubuntu but have XBMC auto launch on startup you don't need either XBMC Live or Grub. Just follow the wiki below to install regular XBMC (not XBMC Live) on Ubuntu. Then use one of the two options listed on the bottom to autolaunch XBMC. In option 1 you sign into Ubuntu's gnome session after you quit XBMC and in option 2 Ubuntu's gnome desktop interface runs in the background behind XBMC, just like one might do in Windows or MacOS, and is already there and ready to use when you quit XBMC.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

I actually do the latter and use the backslash to toggle XBMC between windowed and full screen mode frequently in order to get out into gnome's desktop environment without quitting XBMC, for example to fidget with files I'm downloading in the background, etc.

It sounds like when you tried to install XBMCLive over Ubuntu (rather than install regular XBMC and its dependencies through Ubuntu) you altered the Grub settings which is causing your stalled boot ups.

XBMCLive is supposed to be a self-contained install.
seand Wrote:I may be misunderstanding you but it sounds like you only have one partition on your drive and you are trying to run two different OS's. XBMC Live is its own OS - a stripped down Linux build with nothing but the essentials to run XBMC and Ubuntu is a full fledged OS you can install a regular version of XBMC onto, just like any other OS. XBMC Live and Ubuntu both need their own partitions just like Windows and Ubuntu would need their own partitions and Grub would let you pick which partition to boot from.

Excuse me if I am misunderstanding. To be honest I don't know enough about your Grub log to sort out if that is indeed what is happening but just based on your comment.

If want to boot into Ubuntu but have XBMC auto launch on startup you don't need either XBMC Live or Grub. Just follow the wiki below to install regular XBMC (not XBMC Live) on Ubuntu. Then use one of the two options listed on the bottom to autolaunch XBMC. In option 1 you sign into Ubuntu's gnome session after you quit XBMC and in option 2 Ubuntu's gnome desktop interface runs in the background behind XBMC, just like one might do in Windows or MacOS, and is already there and ready to use when you quit XBMC.
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=HOW...Step_Guide

I actually do the latter and use the backslash to toggle XBMC between windowed and full screen mode frequently in order to get out into gnome's desktop environment without quitting XBMC, for example to fidget with files I'm downloading in the background, etc.

It sounds like when you tried to install XBMCLive over Ubuntu (rather than install regular XBMC and its dependencies through Ubuntu) you altered the Grub settings which is causing your stalled boot ups.

XBMCLive is supposed to be a self-contained install.

No, in this case he installed the live package over a minimal install, which is correct. A simple grub update, as previously suggested, should fix the issue.
Thanks for your answers, but don't work. This was my /etc/default/grub:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=10
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

and this how I changed it:

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
#GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT=0
GRUB_TIMEOUT=3
GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="splash quiet xbmc=autostart,nodiskmount loglevel=0"
GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

I run the sudo update-grub (maybe I should run the update-grub2)

With this modifications the systems appears to do the same, wait in grub for an answer, but now, from modification when I try to reboot the system hangs in plymouth screen.

I installed the minimal installation following the wiki guide http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMCbuntu. I did the installation without graphical interface, just as recommended in the guide.

I don't have another operating system, just ubuntu 11.04, the entries I have in grub are:

- Ubuntu
- Ubuntu (recovery)
- Memtest86+
- Memtest86+ (recovery)

I have another hard disk formatted in NTFS, but just for media, no O.S. installed inside.

Thanks for your help