Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: XBMC Live no longer boots
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi!

I have had XBMC Live installed sinced January and working fine. This morning when I turned on the machine the XBMC logo and the running dots comes up and stays there for about 20 seconds and then it drops back to a Ubuntu login prompt.

If I `log in' it just tells me that Linux is freeware and brings me to a command prompt.

I reinstalled XBMC Live from scratch from a USB key and it seemed to complete OK (had to create a username etc) but when I reset the box it does the exact same thing.

There are no other error messages I can see.

Any ideas on what I can do next. Like I said I reinstalled Live from scratch (selecting use the whole disk) so I would have thought that would have fixed most issues.
I'm not really familiar with live, but what happens when you run
Code:
xbmc # or
xbmc-standalone

problably not working, but worth a shot anyway:
Code:
startx
tried re-installing the video drivers? for updated ones see here

I found that this is not uncommon but this happens when I compile, for me a second compile fixes the issues ok, also its happened many many times that sometimes you need to install from USB 2 or 3 times.. Not a joke, actually format the disk...

If none of that works you could try upgrading you xbmc-live to the nighties or compile

@ wsnipex

issuing
Code:
xbmc
that on xbmc-live (moans about FE.py and screen, never tried xbmc-standalone, may be wortha shot along starx.
Code:
startx
or
xbmc-standalone
may work but teh command is
Code:
sudo start xbmc-live
I had this problem - it turned out XBMC was outputting a video signal my TV couldn't handle - I simply plugged it into a computer monitor instead and it worked fine, reduced the resolution to 720p and everything was back to normal.

This was doing this even after two reinstalls until I tried it on a monitor!
Sorry fort he delay in reply, I've been away.

It seems that there may be something amiss with one of the HDMI inputs on my TV.

I changed inputs from HDMI 2 to 3 or 1 to 2 or something and it's all back!

(I had PayTV installed the day before which should have given me a clue and they changed the HDMI inputs around!).

Thanks
Ernie