Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Where do you run sick beard/couchpotato?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just wondering WHERE you guys chose to keep these programs and why?

I have my PC, a laptop, DS211j NAS and an HTPC.

Where would you recommend I "house" these two apps and why?
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Just wondering WHERE you guys chose to keep these programs and why?

I have my PC, a laptop, DS211j NAS and an HTPC.

Where would you recommend I "house" these two apps and why?

Although my setup is different (Actual Server running IIS, XBMC, etc, and hooked up to the TV as the HTPC itself) I then control it via my laptop (MediaFrontPage) or my iPad or iPhone pending on what I'm watching/doing.

For ease of use, I'd run them from either the HTPC or NAS pending on how you have the data available in XBMC. If EVERYTHING is sitting on the NAS and just streamed to the HTPC than run these on the NAS if possible.
Hmm I just realized SickBeard and CouchPotato isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be...

So I guess maybe just my HTPC or desktop computer... hmm
I have a dedicated server that I run SB and CP on. The server also stores all my videos/music. It really just depends on your preference for how you download and store things. You could run the programs on your main box and then tell them to dump files to your NAS.
i run mine /usr/local/sbin
on a dedicated server Linux megatron 2.6.32-32-generic #62-Ubuntu SMP Wed Apr 20 21:52:38 UTC 2011 x86_64 GNU/Linux
everything inlcuding apache and mediafrontpage on the htpc itself.
I run it on my unRAID server, which is where all of my media is stored.
I run both with SABnzbd on my UnRAID media server. The advantage to running it on your NAS or local server is that its already always on and configured to be an "always on" computer that runs as energy efficiently as possible. Use the computer that is always on in the corner to the drudgery work of downloading. Not your perhaps more powerful but less energy efficient "work computer". Servers are like the tortoise in the tortoise and the hare. Slow and steady and just keep going. These are the best computers for processes you want to run and not have to babysit.

The whole point of these programs is that they are administered by html interface so you don't have to be on the computer they run in to control them - perfect for a server you never even turn the monitor on - or even run headless once you get everything settled.
I'm running Mediafrontpage, Sabnzbd+, Sickbeard, Couchpotato and now headphones on a small silent mini-itx pc that i had lying around and all my media is stored on a seperate NAS (Buffalo Terastation Live). One of the reasons i have them seperate to my media is coz i really couldn't be bothered to hack my Nas to run them. I also like the peace of mind that my mrs and kids don't have access to it and therefore can't mess it up.
Hey, heard a few mentions of Mediafrontpage and saw some screenshots.. but WHAT do you actually (or mainly?) use it for?

Thinking I might end up running it on my HTPC or possibly desktop. I'm totally fine with it not being on "all the time". Just might have limited hard drive space on the HTPC... probably desktop I guess!
Your HTPC, to make your life easier, needs to run a few programs to get your media in an automated fashion... IE - CouchPotato, Sickbeard & SabNZBd.

What MediaFrontPage is, is a internal website that monitors and accesses all these programs with ease and gives a Summary of all the recent or future activity of what exactly your HTPC is doing or going to do.

Mine IS on all the time because if I'm not watching something, it's generally doing something else for me.

Be prepared for the long haul though, setting this up is not easy at first. People are here to help as best we can, but there is soooo much to learn - some of us still have not got it nailed!!

Search this Forum for LaSi.sh to make installing these programs a little easier (in Linux Commandline or on a NAS). Setting them up to talk to each other is what takes the time (Search Ainer's Guides for the programs!) Smile
Kaitlyn2004 Wrote:Hmm I just realized SickBeard and CouchPotato isn't as straightforward as I thought it would be...

So I guess maybe just my HTPC or desktop computer... hmm

I was not sure what to do until I found a straightforward step by step guide for beginners. Click the link in my signature. It helped me out tremendously.
I have SickBeard set up and it works wonderfully! I have not had a chance to do CouchPotato yet so I can't vouch for that part of the guide.