Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [MAC] What is wrong with the sound? =(
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi all,
I'm not sure if this should go here or on a Mac forum, but I only started experiencing these issues after changing the settings in XBMC.

So, the setup:
I have a 13" MacBook Pro, that I connect to my 50" HD LG Plasma tv through a mini-display port to HDMI. Everything has worked flawlessly for a few weeks, but for some reason (No) I went in to the audio settings to see if everything should be as it was, and I think I changed something, but I have no idea what -_- I tried changing them back or choosing the most logical settings but it still doesn't work. Output should be HDMI right? I'm not sure what the original setting was.

Anyway, the problem is this, when I plug in the cable and open XBMC I hear the menu scrolling sounds but when I start a movie the sound disappears from the TV. And when I exit XBMC the sound on the computer is instead activated (from my MacBook pro in clamshell mode) so there seems to be something weird going on with the sound settings, because there shouldn't be any sound coming from the computer itself, just the tv. Before the setting change the volume button on my computer used to be muted so that I could only change the volume from the tv (as it should be), but now after I start playing a movie, the volume indicator on the computer is not muted and I can change the level of the volume, but just for the computer sound. This is extremely frustrating. Has anyone had a similar problem? And what are the default audio output settings? Can I change them back somehow?
Having sound issues myself..
If pausing a movie or episode, when resuming NO sound.
If i press stop and then resume i usually get sound.

Since a couple of weeks the sounds dissapear totaly from my mac mini when this happends. (not only from xbmc)

Fastest way to get the sound back then is to put mac mini in sleep mode and the wake it up again.

I have my mac mini setup via hdmi to 52" plasma and sound throu hdmi.

Using a nightly build from 20110526.

i think the error started to appear after some kind of osx update some weeks ago.
My XBMC sound troubles may be related. Sometime in the last few weeks (during which I updated OSX from 10.6.4 to 10.6.8), sound has become unreliable in XBMC (Dharma) on my 2006 Mac Pro. The trigger is 100% reproducible in my case.
Everything works normally if I play videos with AAC soundtracks using the Mac Pro's built in digital out, but once I play an AC3 soundtrack, nothing but AC3 works until I reboot.
This is a new behavior and no amount of troubleshooting short of reinstalling 10.6.0 has worked for me. If anyone has ideas I'd love to hear them!
bump same problem as OP!
This is a known bug introduced by Apple in 10.6.8. Apparently they're fixing it right now. Same issue exists in Lion. This also effects many apps like XBMC, VLC, Plex, etc etc.

I'm effected because I have optical out to my Logitech Z5500D speakers.

Also, I stumbled on a quicker method to fix this which is to put your Mac to sleep and wake it up again, the audio is fixed after that. Saves doing a full reboot.

More details in this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/313...0&tstart=0
gardz Wrote:This is a known bug introduced by Apple in 10.6.8. Apparently they're fixing it right now. Same issue exists in Lion.

argh.. I just came here for some info about the same issue... and your post is totally clear! I have this crap, time to time apple is able to do so incresible stupidities No
Been having the same problems - the only fix I came up with was to use a different audio output device. I happened to have an M-Audio Transit sitting around. Hooked it up, downloaded the latest drivers, set it for AC3 output, selected it as the output device in XBMC, and everything is working like a charm (I'm running Lion). It will set you back $50, but the problems will be gone.
same here, and especially when I first watch a movie in 720p, and I skip to a movie or serie in SD (or a mp3 file) I don't hear anything.
I think I'm experiences the same problem as you. After watching a DTS oct Dolby Digital movie in XBMC all of my sound both in XBMC and OS X don't work anymore.

The problem is still the 10.6.8 update of SL?