Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: [Live] USB to Gigabit Driver
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi.

My network card decided to give out on me today, and due to the small case I cant fit a new one, and I dont really want to have to replace the motherboard just because the network adapter is dead.

So I brought a belkin usb to gigabit adapter, I tested it in the latest version of ubuntu and it worked great not problems.

So plugged it into my htpc which is running live 10.1 and it does not work, I have seen some people online talking about patching the asix file but thats way over my head.

I was wondering if anyone could help me get this working, as at the moment my htpc is pointless with out network connections.

Thanks.
lsusb?

You know that USB2.0 only goes to 480Mb/s, and that's theoretical.
Oh yeh I know usb2 limits the speed.

Results from lsusb:
Quote:Bus 002 Device 003: ID 050d:5055 Belikin Component F5D5055

So it finds it but it wont allow me to connect to my network through it.
you dont need to replace a whole mobo just because of a dead lan port, it could be something as simple as a transistor and cheap to repair or have it repaired by a reputable electronics tech shop. Any of them will e able to measure the voltages with a multimeter to isolate the problem before carrying out any work.

just thought I put a option out there before people forget that electronics are not throw away stuff.
Does ipconfig show the ethernet card?
There's a typo in the above post, you need to run ifconfig.
You probably need to download and install the latest drivers from Here

If you want I can show you how to do it.

Jerry
Mindzai Wrote:There's a typo in the above post, you need to run ifconfig.

Yep. ifconfig. ipconfig is BSD land.
Ifconfig does not show the Ethernet card.

Jawilljr, if you could show me how that would be awesome, sadly I cannot access the net on my htpc so I would have to download it and put it on a CD or something, cheers.
supertom44 Wrote:Ifconfig does not show the Ethernet card.

Jawilljr, if you could show me how that would be awesome, sadly I cannot access the net on my htpc so I would have to download it and put it on a CD or something, cheers.

No problem... here are the basic steps.

The latest drivers are direct download

Before unpacking and compiling lets make sure that you can compile:

Do a ctrl+alt+f2 to get to a terminal. Then ru this command:

Code:
sudo apt-get install build-essential && sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

Then do these:

Code:
mkdir asix
cd asix

Now copy the tarball to the folder we created.

Then do these:

Code:
tar -xf AX88772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.1.0_Source.tar.bz2
cd AX88772B_772A_760_772_178_LINUX_Driver_v4.1.0_Source
make
sudo make install
sudo modprobe -r asix
sudo modprobe asix

That should get you USB Ethernet working.

Jerry
Many thanks for the guide it kinda worked.

It now recognises the device and the network lights on the device light up now when they did not bebefore. However when i do ifconfig I only get one results which I am guessing is the on board card and I still cannot access the net, when ever I run anupdate I keep getting the message cannot reolve.

Cheers
you may want to disable the default nic in bios if it doesnt work anymore so thers no conflicts.

actually just picking up on jawilljr nice post he forgot to add something important

when you modprobe the driver its only temporary if you reboot it wont be active on reboot.

so to make the new driver/module active after each reboot you need to add this.
Code:
echo asix >> /etc/modules
if you just rebooted you will need to do
Code:
modprobe asix
so you can get the driver active again.

cheers
Thanks for the reply, I have disabled the onboard network card, although it still shows up with ifconfig, tested in ubuntu and it does the same.

I followed the extra steps you posted but it still does not show up in ifconfig, and I still get cannot resolve when ever I try to update or access the net.

Cheers.
sorrry no experiene with your stuff, if you disabled your crad in bios IT WILL NOT SHOW UP on your OS.

many nics need to be need to be shutdown and restarted...

I recommend you look at ethtool to try to identify your new NIC name.
The only option i could find in bios to do with on board network was to disable onboard gigabit LAN, which i did but in ubuntu it still shows two under ifconfig, i only have one on board port and the usb one so not sure why it shows two.
Pages: 1 2