Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Feedback welcome on my HTPC plan
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm a longtime XBMC user. I've used it on the original Xbox, Apple TV1, and now a Dell D620 laptop. I'm looking for a slick new machine to be my HTPC, and I think I've got my plan in order.

Goals:

1. Fanless is a must! I have a small living room and can't stand the fan-noise.
2. It will primarily function as an HTPC, but I might use it as a straight PC for Skype and the occasional web-browsing. No gaming though.
3. Must play 1080p. Hopefully it could also play 1080i uncompressed footage shot using my Canon HDV video camera. (I'm not sure if this will be too much of a stretch though. Any feedback welcome).
4. I plan to either run OpenElec, Windows XP, or Windows 7. I'm wondering if it's possible to partition an SSD and have dual boot options so I can be running OpenElec or Live! most of the time, but have the option to jump into Windows when necessary. I found some threads suggesting this is possible. I'm not interested in Ubuntu or Linux simply because I don't have the time to figure them out. I've given them a shot here and there and find myself more frustrated than I'd like Smile
5. MAJOR GOAL: Minimize hassle! I used to love tinkering with parts and building my own machines, but those days are gone. I don't have the time anymore. If you see any issues in this setup with VDPAU, LIRC, WTF, BYOB, or any other crazy thing that I'll have to spend hours reading forum posts like these about, I'd appreciate a heads up Smile I spent hours getting my Xbox 1 remote working on my current HTPC and don't want to go through that again.

So here's my purchase plan:

1. Shuttle XS35GT-V2 Intel NM10 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System
2. Patriot Torqx 2 PT232GS25SSDR 2.5" 32GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
3. CORSAIR 4GB 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM DDR3 1333 Laptop Memory Model CMSO4GX3M1A1333C9
4. Use an old external USB DVD drive for optical media.

As far as remote control goes, I'm still on the fence between waiting for the Motorola Nyxboard Hybrid to come out, and getting a Logitech Harmony 650 and a Rii mini-keyboard and trackpad for general computing. Oh, and I've thrown the Boxee remote idea around a bit too, but I think I would miss the info and title buttons from the original Xbox remote.

Thanks for any feedback or suggestions.
well the Shuttle is fanless so you should be happy with it!

2GB's of RAM is enough for HTPC tasks under Windows7,,,

Shuttle will play 1080P but forget about NetFlix-HD, CPU is not strong enough....
if your not into Netflix-HD, 3D movies & HD-Audio Bitstreaming,
then your good to go...

I dont see why you couldnt partition your SSD in 2,,,,

i guess you could install windows first, and then OpenELEC,,,

maybe this guide could guide you Tongue
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/9059/dual...th-ubuntu/
No good for 1080p - you need the ION2 edition (for VDPAU - CPU alone will not decode 1080p content)..

http://www.shuttle.eu/products/slim/xs35gtv2/overview/

I have this edition with a 60GB SSD - works perfectly for XBMC under Ubuntu, as many others will tell you around here. Using external USB for storage at the moment...

Install Windows first - then Ubuntu, during the install it will detect the existing Windows install and get your GRUB bootloader all setup for Dual booting no sweat...
O.O
Thanks for the info eskro. I figure for a couple more bucks I'm going to fill the RAM. At $30 that fortunately won't break the bank Smile Not worried about Netflix because I have a Roku to deal with that. With all the games that Netflix has played blocking certain devices, I like the simplicity of the Roku. It does the job.

Magnetik - Thanks for the info, but I think I'm planning to get the same device you linked to. The XS35GT-V2 is the ION2 correct? The XS35GT is the ION1 device right?
doesnt matter, ION1, ION2, both will play 1080P....
babaraccas Wrote:Magnetik - Thanks for the info, but I think I'm planning to get the same device you linked to. The XS35GT-V2 is the ION2 correct? The XS35GT is the ION1 device right?

Not quite. The cheaper xs35 only has intel video, no ION/NVIDIA at all. This is the one you linked to. It won't do 1080p, and is a waste of money for an XBMC system IMHO.
magnetik Wrote:Not quite. The cheaper xs35 only has intel video, no ION/NVIDIA at all. This is the one you linked to. It won't do 1080p, and is a waste of money for an XBMC system IMHO.

The OP linked "1. Shuttle XS35GT-V2 Intel NM10 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System" to this url http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101122 that is the XS35GT-V2 not the xs35, you are incorrect, the system the OP linked to is the ION based system see http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsD...uctId=1488
I think eskro and claypigeon have it right. The product page specifically says NVIDIA ION, so it sounds like 1080p should not be a problem.

Any ideas if this will be capable of playing my 1080i HDV footage? I backup all of my HDV tapes to my NAS and I'd like to play it on the HTPC through a wired network connection. I don't re-encode the footage or do any further compression.

Does it take more processing power to display 1080p or 1080i?
claypigeon Wrote:The OP linked "1. Shuttle XS35GT-V2 Intel NM10 Black Mini / Booksize Barebone System" to this url http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.as...6856101122 that is the XS35GT-V2 not the xs35, you are incorrect, the system the OP linked to is the ION based system see http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsD...uctId=1488

I'm not so sure I am incorrect...

The NewEgg listing makes ZERO mention of the ION chipset - the only video reference in the specs are "onboard video IDT92HD81", which is infact the AUDIO HARDWARE on the cheaper "XS35V2".

http://global.shuttle.com/news/productsS...uctId=1487

Either NewEgg have the specs wrong, or the model name wrong - (e.g. the "GT" in the title is a typo) - for that price, I would say it's more than likely that "GT" is a typo...

So I would be 110% sure that you are getting what you expect - since, personally I would be worried since NVIDIA/ION is mentioned no-where on that NewEgg listing....
I just wanted to report back that the Newegg posting was correct and I am the proud owner of the XS35GT-V2! Hardware is up and running smoothly and silently. Now I'm working on figuring out how to multi-boot the puppy with Ubuntu, XP, and OpenELEC. It's quite the learning curve but I'm enjoying the process. Thanks for your feedback guys.
glad it worked out!!
Looks like a nice system babaraccas... I'm also looking to expand for a silent system and lucky me, just saw this thread.

I see the system has VESA standard mounting. Can you tell if if would fit behind a wall-mounted 42" TV?

thanks,
r
Hey Ray,

The Shuttle is about an inch and a half thick. I've got a wall mounted 40" samsung and it looks like the shuttle would fit behind it nicely when I eyeball it. But wouldn't the mounting bracket for the tv take up the VESA screw holes? How would you mount the shuttle to the tv and the tv to the wall?
babaraccas Wrote:Hey Ray,

The Shuttle is about an inch and a half thick. I've got a wall mounted 40" samsung and it looks like the shuttle would fit behind it nicely when I eyeball it. But wouldn't the mounting bracket for the tv take up the VESA screw holes? How would you mount the shuttle to the tv and the tv to the wall?

you might consider a small vesa mount on the wall for the shuttle, behind the display. This assumes that there is adequate space between the wall and your display to ensure proper air flow to the shuttle, since there are no fans you should follow the mfg guidelines for the air flow. That is what I was considering at one point.
Pages: 1 2