Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Library startup update fails to connect to smb sources
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
For quite a while now, my XBMC installation (Live, Dharma) hasn't been performing the 'update library on startup' action I've been trying to tell it to. I've just gotten around to trying to get to the bottom of it, so I enabled debugging and took a look at the log. In it, I see lines like:

Code:
NOTICE: VideoInfoScanner: Starting scan ..
DEBUG: OpenDir - Using authentication url smb://admin:######@SAM/media/Movies
ERROR: SMBDirectory->GetDirectory: Unable to open directory : 'smb://admin:######@SAM/media/Movies'
        unix_err:'6e' error : 'Connection timed out'
ERROR: GetDirectory - Error getting smb://SAM/media/Movies/
DEBUG: VideoInfoScanner: Skipping dir 'smb://SAM/media/Movies/' due to no change

Note: The hashes above are censoring the password.

Now, I have had occasional issues while using the system where I am unable to load a video due to the connection timing out. I've always attributed this to the fact that the XBMC box is connected to the network wirelessly, which is a temporary solution to the current lack of a hard line. But other than these occasional issues, connection to the smb sources has worked consistently, notably when manually updating the libraries. In contrast, the startup update has consistently NOT worked - nothing occasional about it.

So could it just be a flaky wireless connection? To me, that doesn't account for how consistently it fails the startup scan, especially when the rest of the system works without issue.

Any ideas as to what else could be causing this?

EDIT: Fiddling with various settings, I've just come across something interesting, though I have no idea what to make of it. When I change the Network > SMB client > WINS server setting, and I'm prompted for a restart, when the machine boots back up it does the scan for new content! I'm not even setting the IP address of a valid WINS server. Once I noticed this coincidence, I tested changing this value to some random IP I made up, restarted at the prompt and the library update worked. I manually restarted and there was no library update. I changed the setting back to 0.0.0.0, restarted at the prompt, and the library update worked. After manually restarting again, there was no library update.
I can't figure it out...
oogles Wrote:EDIT: Fiddling with various settings, I've just come across something interesting, though I have no idea what to make of it. When I change the Network > SMB client > WINS server setting, and I'm prompted for a restart, when the machine boots back up it does the scan for new content! I'm not even setting the IP address of a valid WINS server. Once I noticed this coincidence, I tested changing this value to some random IP I made up, restarted at the prompt and the library update worked. I manually restarted and there was no library update. I changed the setting back to 0.0.0.0, restarted at the prompt, and the library update worked. After manually restarting again, there was no library update.
I can't figure it out...

I'm having exactly the same problem. I've got the 10.1 dharma installed (xbmc live onto usb). Whenever I boot up XBMC, the smb client doesn't seem to retain the settings (0.0.0.0). This happens every single time I boot without fail. As long as I keep XBMC on using suspend, it's not an issue but every time I reboot it forgets this setting.

Any help would be appreciated Smile