Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Starting HTPC with Harmony
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have an issue that's actually existed for a few years now and can not figure out.

My HTPC stays in sleep mode when not in use.
On my Harmony remote, if I push the HTPC Activity, it will rarely bring the HTPC out of sleep. But if I go through the Harmony's help menu, I can usually get it to come out of sleep after 1-10 tries(sometimes more). The MCE remote will do it almost everytime.

If I turn the HTPC off with the Harmony, it puts it to sleep everytime.

I do not use Eventghost but I have tried using it in the past...it gave the same problem.

I'm not 100% if this is link issue between the Harmony and the HTPC or maybe a delay issue.

Has anyone else solved an issue like this?
I use a Harmony 650 remote and always keep my HTPC when in sleep mode. Hitting any button that's used for a HTPC function works. Always.

I think you have to set suspend mode to "S3" in your BIOS, in the Power Management settings,

Does your IR receiver register a signal, even when the HTPC does not come out of sleep?
Yeah, it does. It's taking a signal but it will not turn on first try.

If I use the actual MCE remote or the keyboard, it will work everytime. It is just the harmony that gives me problems.
Hm. All i can think of is to open your Harmony software, and go to Troubleshooting, at the top. And select " my remote doesn't respond often enough", or something like that. I'm guessing that you have to change the delays a bit. Decrease delay, by the sounds of it. I think you can select 1-6, and default is 4, if memory serves. What happens if you hold a remote button? I would think that that'd start your HTPC every time.

What IR receiver do you have, anyway? I use teh one that came with my $20 Ortek remote. (i only bought it for the receiver)

EDIT: well out of the desire to try to sue wake-on-USB from a powered-down state, i find that I've been usign S1 (POS) this whoel time to wake my HTPC from sleep. And no, I wasn't able to get my Harmony to utilize wake-on-USB. Sad

PS - I also replied as teh other user. I forgot to sign him out first...
Look at the Antec Veris basic. It contects into the PC power supply and will reliably turns the PC on and off. You have to use the iMon software, but I find the iMon software quite reliable. My ultimate goal is to get the HTPC to turn on like a DVR. It does, but the HTPC takes a bit longer. With a SSD and a H67 UEFI MB it boots in uner a minute. Not bad! I'm waiting for the OCZ REvo drive 3rd gen PCIE SSD and a good sale. I'm not sure $300-400 would be worth it, but I may try it out.
You want to hear a funny solution that worked for me. If I point my harmony one direct at my mce rc6 receiver, it won't register the 'wake' (power on) command. If I hold it at an angle, / about the same angle as this slash, ir towards the ceiling, it wakes every time. The only time I use the 'angle solution' is on wake up, everything else works no matter how the remote is positioned.
Just to follow up on my own post. I tried adjusting time delays and various other settings by the Logitech software and nothing seemed to work.

I finally solved this by completely deleting my harmony MCE set ups, then redoing them. Since resetting everything, I would say it works 98% like it should. The only issue I get, if the HTPC puts itself to sleep and the harmony is left on. It will get confused by the help button and no long turn the HTPC on/off. The only way to rectify this is by restarting everything from the off/sleep position.

Thanks for the help, guys.
sepa10 Wrote:Just to follow up on my own post. I tried adjusting time delays and various other settings by the Logitech software and nothing seemed to work.

I finally solved this by completely deleting my harmony MCE set ups, then redoing them. Since resetting everything, I would say it works 98% like it should. The only issue I get, if the HTPC puts itself to sleep and the harmony is left on. It will get confused by the help button and no long turn the HTPC on/off. The only way to rectify this is by restarting everything from the off/sleep position.

Thanks for the help, guys.

Good to hear that you almost have it all worked out. As for the Sleep during active activity, either access the Power Toggle from the Devices option on the bottom of the screen and selecting the Media PC (on the 3rd page of Media PC for my remote) or by adding the Power Toggle as a Button for your active activity screen. I normally just use the Devices screen myself.
Ahh, Good idea.

Thanks!