Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Could not connect to remote server
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi,

I started XBMC half an hour ago, hoping to watch a new show. I waited for XBMC to scan the drives, but I keep getting this error:
"Could not connect to remote server"

It asks me if I still want to keep scanning, but if I hit Yes I only get the same error again. I checked both scrapers (themoviedb and tvdb) and both are working.

Any idea?
Thanks
If you're getting "Error 2: Could not connect to remote server" there's an issue on your PC that's holding your content. I think it's something to do with the sharing rights.

I'm actually having a similar problem right now. ATV1 running XBMC Dharma connecting over ethernet to an Ubuntu PC. If the power goes off then on the Ubuntu PC then the ATV loses access to the content, (not the internet plugins). The band-aid fix I found is to type this in the Ubuntu terminal; "sudo smbpasswd -a (my username)". I enter my username password, and then put in a blank password at the next prompt. I found the instructions for that here;
https://help.ubuntu.com/10.04/internet/C...hares.html. The next thing I'm going to do is write a script that'll execute every 12 - 24 hours & at power-on so that my wife can still watch TV when I'm not home to reset the access rights. But that's not the right way to do things.

So does someone have a suggestion to help me too?
Oh, and when I do that "sudo smbpasswd" thing, it doesn't restore access to my pictures folder.

In the Ubuntu PC I have the system & programs on 1 internal drive, pics are on another internal drive, and Movies, TV & Music are on a 3rd internal drive. I've shared folders for the content but not the root.

I'm just now wondering if I have or haven't set up "Guest Access" when sharing the folders and it's expired. I set the pictures folders up differently so that my wife could manipulate the files from her laptop.

Sorry to jack your thread mosoo, but I figured this could help both of us.