Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: Menus In Ubuntu
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hey,
I've got a bit of a problem, I have recently installed Ubuntu Desktop 11.04 to use with XBMC this was to replace Windows XP, as it would keep exiting XBMC to update or to run a virus scan etc.
The problem is with the new Ubuntu setup is I can not read any of the menus.Confused
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/809/xbmc.png/
I have tried reinstalling it but no luck No.
Any Help would be greatly appreciated.
Thers a user on the forums goes by the handle of LB06, this is right up his alley, the way he goes on about it...

perhaps he can help.
Thanks for the help I will look him up Big Grin
Alex
What kind of GPU do you have? Were you asked to install restricted drivers during of after the install?
A ATI Radeon 9200 and No I wasn't.
But it worked fine in XP.
Yes I'm sure it worked fine in Windows, but that's because the drivers didn't suck there. Unfortunately AMD/ATI is a pita on Linux. They are unable or unwilling to develop proper Linux drivers, unlike Nvidia.

Having said that, it's possible that your problem can be fixed, but I personally avoid Radeons like the plague so it's not "up my alley". X3lectric is just being childish.

There will be numerous threads about Radeons and Linux. You're going to need the fgrlx driver and VA-API support. I'm not up to speed on the current status of those things, but you can use those for searching.
Thanks
I am still not sure why everything else on ubuntu still renders ok, but I will search through,
Thanks again
Alex
Probably because XBMC uses OpenGL and the rest is just CPU rendered GUI stuff Smile

First make sure you have the Linux Catalyst (fglrx) drivers installed properly. That might just solve your problem with the menus. Video acceleration is a whole other story though.
Thanks again