Kodi Community Forum

Full Version: External Hard Drive 1080p Corruption
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Greetings,

I am running XBMC from the PVR ppa in order to get VAAPI acceleration on my Amd E-350 system. Everything plays fine with one exception, if I try to play a 1080p video of any format (.mp4, .mkv) off of my external hard drive the video is corrupted. The corruption looks like a single frame offset from the rest of the video flickering in with the rest of the video stream. The audio is unaffected and plays without issue. I though this was a bug affecting the E-350 and VAAPI until I double checked and tried playing the same file off the local hard drive. It played flawlessly. I then tried a different external drive and I got the same results. I don't get corruption when I play the file back on my ION platform using the external hard drive.

Does anyone have any clue why only 1080p files are getting corrupted only off a external hard drive?

One more thing I should mention, I tried both USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 drives and got the same results so it doesn't seem to be a throughput issue.

I am running Elementary OS, which is a custom version of Ubuntu 10.10 with the Catalyst 11.6 driver, XBMC and Libva are both from the Ubuntu XBMC PVR PPA (https://launchpad.net/~lars-opdenkamp/+archive/xbmc-pvr), the 2.6.35-30 kernel and the stock X-Server.
Update: It seems it doesn't have anything to do with the external drive, it occurs randomly and through chance it worked off the local drive and not the external. Messing with it more, I seem to be able to reproduce the behavior if I resume a video instead of starting it fresh. Other times it will randomly work or not work, always with 1080p video of varying bitrates.